Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Saturday, October 09, 2010

Not a good week.

Bit of a wash out, really. I was a bit 'flat' after my friend's death, then I caught a cold this week. Another bloody cold - I never get more than one cold a year, but I think this is the third one this year! I saw our doctor this morning to ask for antibiotics, as my colds usually end up as a chest infection, and I did not want to be sick in two weeks' time when we fly up to Sydney. He said my throat was 'red raw' (it feels like it) and my breathing was 'rattly', so he gave me a script for the ABs. He gave one to Ken too, just in case, as we usually manage to pass our germs on to each other within a few days. I was hoping to go to the Craft Expo this weekend with Sharon, but she had to cancel out, and as it turns out with this cold virus, I would have done the cancelling if she hadn't!

So I haven't had much to write about. But our garden plants are starting to flower now that it is half way through Spring, so I thought I may as well brighten up my little blog with some photos of them.

We have had this orchid for about 20 years, and it has never flowered before, despite feeding it and repotting it more than once. But this year it finally got some buds, then stopped dead. SIL advised us to bring it indoors, so we did, and VOILA! Flowers.


These little pansies are struggling to survive in the mulched garden bed. I should have put them in a pot.

There are many varieties of Australia's native mint bushes, and we have a few of them. They burst into purple profusion for a few weeks every year, but are evergreen for the rest of the year.



I don't know the correct botanical name for these. They are just daisies to me!

One of our native Hibiscus plants. In a few years, this plant should be much larger, and will be really beautiful in flower.

I like Geraniums. They grow anywhere, they grow fast, and they flower all the time. Ken reckons they are a weed, and pulls them out when I'm not looking. I wish he'd concentrate on the real weeds you can see in this photo!


More daisies.

This is another tulip, that has flowered since the bright red one I showed here last week. This is called a Black Tulip, although it is more of a dark Cherry colour. Very unusual.

7 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

I'm amazed to see your geranium / pelargonium. Here, we only have them in pots - or if we plant them outside, they're killed by the cold in the winter. So I've never seen one so enormous!

What a lovely eulogy for your Japanese friend - simply beautiful.

Sunday, 10 October, 2010  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Gina ~~ Sorry you got a rotten cold and hope it soon goes and Ken doesn't get it this time.
Your flowers are lovely and Spring is
a nice time for our gardens.
Thanks for the comments, glad you enjoyed the jokes. Sorry the cinnamon isn't helping your arthritis
I think it has helped the diabetes,
I see Dr. tomorrow to find out officially. Look after yourself Gina. Love, Merle.

Sunday, 10 October, 2010  
Blogger Finding My Way said...

Gina;
The pictures are beautiful.
I hope you feel better soon.
HUGS-patty

Sunday, 10 October, 2010  
Blogger Pear tree cottage! said...

Your garden is rampid! with flowers dear friend.........how beautiful.

Will call soon, working every day this week and most of next. hugs to you both. Lee-ann

Monday, 11 October, 2010  
Blogger Sharon said...

You poor thing... So neither of us made it - think of the savings... Hope you are feeling much better soon...

Monday, 11 October, 2010  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Isabelle, I should walk around our neighbourhood and photograph geraniums. Ours is small in comparison to some around here!
Thank you all for nice comments on our garden and my eulogy. More flowers have since emerged, so I'll post more pics next week.
Sharon: from what I've heard, I don't think we missed much!

Monday, 11 October, 2010  
Blogger cell said...

gorgeous! I've seen those black tulips around here. I didn't know those purple ones were hibiscuses. [was that even a word?] Your pansies seem to be faring well! Dont you just love this time of year where everything bursts into colour! I've just moved to Hobart this week so having a bit more of cold weather but all the lovely flowers are blooming already.

Friday, 15 October, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!