Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Expensive pets....


"If I sit on this kitchen chair long enough, maybe Somebody will feed me".

Quick update on the New Pussy. Topsy and Tiger seem to have accepted each other, to the point where they will eat in the kitchen at the same time without glaring at each other, and they will sit on the same sofa (one at each end) without hissing.
But Topsy still doesn't like her personal space invaded, so when Tiger pounced on her swishing tail, Topsy spun around and swiped him, getting him in one eye. We saw it happen, but Tiger didn't seem to be affected, apart from blinking a bit more than usual.

I took Tiger to the Gus the vet for his first check up, immunisation, etc. and mentioned the incident, and when Gus had a close look, he showed me where Topsy's claw had scratched the surface of Tiger's right eye. He treated it with various things, and gave me a tube of ointment to put in the eye three times a day for a week, then bring Tiger back to be checked out. I was staggered when I got the bill: $340! I asked for it to be itemised, and argued over a few items, and they reduced it to $225. I had been charged for the consultation, the treatment of the eye, immunisation, worm tablets, flea treatment for both Topsy and Tiger, and special kitten food for Tiger. I got them to remove the flea treatment for Topsy and the worm tablets (I had some at home), and asked for a discount on the consultation (they offer pensioner discount). So it was worthwhile arguing over the initial bill!

Gus said if the ointment doesn't fix Tiger's eye, he will have to operate, and I asked how much that would cost. He said "It won't be cheap" and I said again "How much would that cost?" "About $400" said Gus, and I said "Forget it!" He said "Oh I'm sure the ointment will fix it!". I think it is working; Tiger isn't blinking as much as he was, and he's not pawing at his eye the way animals will do if they are in pain.

We've noticed that Topsy seems to be getting even heavier than she was a few years ago, when she was weighed at the Vet's office and found to be 9 kg. She was put on a diet of special dried food, and we were told she should weigh about 7.5 kg. Well, she's been on that diet food ever since, but I think she must be getting takeaway food elsewhere, as I weighed her this morning and she was 14 kg. In contrast, Tiger weighs a dear little 2 kg.


"It's just too bloody hot to play games today".

4 Comments:

Blogger cell said...

wow tiger already looks a lot bigger now than in the earlier pictures!too bad about his eye. hope he'll be alright...

Monday, 17 January, 2011  
Blogger Linens and Royals said...

I think if I ever have another kitten I will get pet insurance. Tiger has turned into a very expensive kitten. But does look handsome stretched out on the floor with those elegant markings showing.
Perhaps Tiger will have to chase Topsy around a bit to help with the weight loss.
Hope that eye ointment is working.

Monday, 17 January, 2011  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Gina ~~ These vets sure know how to charge don't they? Glad things have settled down among your furry friends. The floods have been so sad and upsetting. I had to cut down my time watching and crying about them.
Kinglake are doing a great thank you in return for their help in the fires.
I bought a Kinglake recipe book and proceeds go to the fire fund.
John and I were so lucky to get our trip over before the floods and roads closed. Take care,
Love, Merle.

Monday, 17 January, 2011  
Blogger FredaB said...

Hi Gina

The vet bills are horrible. When we were young we had cats and I don't think they ever saw a vet. My daughter's dog was limping and she took him last week to the vet and he thought something was torn in the dog's knee. He wasn't sure. If he needs surgery he said 3500.00 dollars. He is on anti-inflammatories and she is praying it will take it down with no surgery.

don't know what she will decide if it comes to it.

Hugs

FredaB

ps - just catching up on my blogs so a little late to say Happy Anniversery but just as long as they keep on coming. 51 for us last aug.

Thursday, 20 January, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!