Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Wildlife Art exhibition and a renewed interest in drawing.

Eltham and the surrounding suburbs have dozens of art galleries. One of the newest ones is called The Light Factory Gallery, and not only is it close to us, the exhibitions are free! My friend Glenda (who is an artist) and I go to the Light Factory for most of their exhibitions, and last week we viewed the current one which is on until 4th September. It is called "Wild4Art" and has a collection by four artists whose passion is Australian wildlife, birds in particular. If you click on the link, it will take you to the Gallery website, where you can click on each name and see a sample of their works.

One of the artists is Janet Matthews, who is a charming lady with a bubbly personality and a unique way of drawing birds that shows individual personalities - very cute! But not just cute - her pencilled drawings are exquisite. So when we heard Janet was conducting a workshop at the Gallery in October, on how to draw birds, Glenda and I both booked in for it.

When something like this happens, I get carried away by my enthusiasm and start searching eBay for a full set of Derwent or Faber & Castell pencils, to have with me for the workshop. I have found the Derwent Artist range for as little as $55, but the Faber & Castell range that Janet recommends cost well over $100 for a set of 60, and that's not the full range! So I think I'll settle for the Derwents, if I can find them on eBay again (I missed out on the first auction!). In the meantime, I dug out my sketchpad to start practising...

I seem to be better at drawing people than flora and fauna. I sketched my left hand here, and drew some faces from an art text book.

See what I mean? These poor pastel drawings look nothing like the beautiful Rainbow Lorikeets that were posing for me on the birdfeeder yesterday!

I visited my friend Helen today and we spent the sunny afternoon in her garden. She read a book while I sketched a Banksia plant nearby. Helen thought this was good. She said "You can see immediately what it is." The highest compliment, lol!

Tiger obliged by sitting and gazing at me with that unblinking stare peculiar to cats. It isn't a bad likeness, and I'm pleased with it, as I don't usually have much joy drawing cats, as much as I love them.

5 Comments:

Blogger judy zell said...




We are leading exhibition stand designers and builders based in Kuwait. We are involved in designing the exhibition booth and marketing display stalls for running trade fairs, marketing campaigns, promotional events, presentations in various Kuwait trade fairs.
exhibition stand designing company in kuwait

Monday, 05 April, 2021  
Blogger johnbartlet said...

We are leading exhibition stand designers and builders based in Kuwait. We are involved in designing the exhibition booth and marketing display stalls for running trade fairs, marketing campaigns, promotional events, presentations in various Kuwait trade fairs.
exhibition stand designers in kuwait

Monday, 05 April, 2021  
Blogger Unknown said...

We are leading exhibition stand designers and builders based in Qatar. We are involved in designing the exhibition booth and marketing display stalls for running trade fairs, marketing campaigns, promotional events, presentations in various qatar trade fairs.
exhibition stand builders in qatar

Thursday, 02 December, 2021  
Blogger Danieledward said...

We are leading exhibition stand designers and builders based in Doha,qatar. We are involved in designing the exhibition booth and marketing display stalls for running trade fairs, marketing campaigns, promotional events, presentations in various Doha,qatar trade fairs.
exhibition contractor in qatar

Sunday, 05 December, 2021  
Blogger XESS Global said...

exhibition stand design in Dubai, event exhibition in Dubai, show stand builders in Dubai, events and exhibitions in Dubai, exhibition event in Dubai, exhibition stand builders in UAE, exhibition design company in Dubai, exhibition stand contractor in Dubai, exhibition company in Dubai, Dubai exhibition stands, exhibition companies in Dubai, exhibition stand designers in Dubai, exhibition stand designers Dubai, exhibition stand designers in UAE, exhibition branding in Dubai, exhibition show, exhibition stand design Dubai, stand designs in Abu Dhabi, exhibition stand Dubai, exhibition services in Dubai, exhibition stand design companies in Abu Dhabi, stand contractor in Dubai

Get more details from http://xessevents.com

Saturday, 02 July, 2022  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!