Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Trying out some different recipes, American style.

Last Tuesday I had my two American-born (living in Melbourne) friends around for a cuppa, and we were discussing the differences between American and Australian foods. Val's son made corn bread once when I was at her place, and he'd given me the recipe to try. I also had a recipe that I'd downloaded from Pam Kellogg's blog. Glenda said how much she loves corn bread, but hadn't made it for years.

I had bought a pack of Polenta (cornmeal) this week to use in a recipe for dinner one night, and still had a nearly full pack. So I thought I may as well use it up by making corn bread. I decided to use Pam's recipe because it was more of a basic recipe, whereas the other one had vegetables in it as well, but I just wanted to make a plain version. Pam wrote on her blog that her Mom's corn bread recipe was the best one ever, and 'you'll never find a better recipe for corn bread!'. She made it using a muffin tin, and said it could also be baked in a pan, but I decided to make mine into muffins. Well, I've got nothing to compare them to, but I thought they were delicious. I called Glenda and told her I'd just baked some corn bread and would bring some around for her to taste while they were still warm (she lives around the corner from me). She was delighted, and on tasting them, said they were great. Thank you Pam!



While I was in the mood for baking, I decided to make some Brownies - another American favourite. Glenda and Val had mentioned them on Tuesday as well as the cornbread. Today I used a low fat recipe for my Brownies, and while it is edible, it is really nothing like the traditional Brownie in another recipe books which uses 250g of butter, and is absolutely delicious.

It didn't rise much, and because it uses wholemeal flour, it has a completely different taste. I won't be doing this one again. Bugger the diet - I love the real Brownie!!

2 Comments:

Blogger cell said...

looks yummy! what would you eat cornbread with? is it meant to be eaten at teatime with jam and butter? or with roast meats and gravy?

Monday, 22 August, 2011  
Blogger Gina E. said...

It's a savoury treat really, but you could eat it either way. Maybe not with jam, but we had mine warm with just butter and it was nice. I was going to have the rest of them with a pot of soup last Sunday, but Ken ate them all before I could save them, lol!

Tuesday, 23 August, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!