Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Wednesday, June 06, 2012

The Queen's Diamond Jubilee.

Ken and I have spent the last few nights watching the Jubilee celebrations on t.v. - we stayed up until 2 am on Monday morning watching the River Pageant, and tonight watched the Tattoo at Windsor Castle, then the concert at Buckingham Palace. We thoroughly enjoyed almost all of what we saw (the exception being Kylie Minogue, which I shall write about in a minute).
We were born in an era when Australians respected the Queen (and before her, her father King George VI), without having any resentment that the British Monarchy are our Heads of State. We knew from our history lessons at school that if it wasn't for the British, none of us would be living in freedom in this beautiful country, and we had no problem acknowledging them as our leaders from afar. We also understood that the British didn't 'rule' us - we had our own Prime Minister, Governor General, and state Premiers to do that.
So neither of us can understand the vitriol that emerges from the mouths of some people such as Nicole Brady, a so-called 'senior' journalist from The Age newspaper today. I think the title has gone to her head (and out from her arse, excuse the expression). She's only 27, for goodness sake, but talks like so many of her age group - she thinks she know better than anybody else about everything. She was talking to Neil Mitchell on 3AW this morning, calling the Queen and Duke 'silly old people floating down a river on a barge', and spouting more utter garbage about the Jubilee and the Monarchy in general. What on earth is the matter with her? Is she jealous of the attention lavished on them? She claims they don't do anything to warrant all the money that is spent on them; they know nothing about coming home at the end of the day having to look after a family and cook meals. HELLO?????? Does she think Julia Gillard does that? Or the American President? Actually, ms brady sounds like a communist - seems to think that everyone should be the same - go to work, come home and look after family. Well, ms. the world doesn't work like that, never has and never will. Some people will be leaders and some will be followers. Chiefs and Indians, that's how it is. So get used to it.
As for Kylie Minogue. Is my hearing defective, or did she actually use the F word in the second song in her performance? It sounded as if she actually spelled it out at one point - "F U C " and so on. I couldn't believe my ears. How could the organisers of that concert let her sing that in the presence of the Royal Family? I suppose the younger members of the family are like the rest of their generation and take it in their stride, but I can't begin to imagine what the Queen was thinking. Another thing that disgusted me was that she made no reference to the Jubilee at all - utterly self centred little tart. The others - Shirley Bassey, Elton John, Paul McCartney, etc. all paid homage to the Queen in one way or another. Perhaps Kylie is a republican and that was her way of thumbing her nose at the monarchy. She is Australian, isn't she? I was ashamed of her.


CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR DIAMOND JUBILEE,
QUEEN ELIZABETH.

5 Comments:

Blogger FrolickingFroggy said...

Ha! Gina, she was spelling out funk, not you-know-what!

"I wanna funk
I wanna f-f-u f-u-n-k"

Too funny.

Wednesday, 06 June, 2012  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Well, I wouldn't be too sure about that...

Thursday, 07 June, 2012  
Blogger Gina E. said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Thursday, 07 June, 2012  
Blogger Sharon said...

yep Gina - Frolicking Froggy is right... We were talking about it at work - these events are well and truly vetted before they happen - I do believe that everything down to the last word has to be submitted well in advance before... I believe the song was 'Step Back in Time' which starts off with - I want to funk...

Thursday, 07 June, 2012  
Blogger Linens and Royals said...

Hello Gina, have only just returned from the Jubilee and have a bad case of jet lag and not up to blogging yet. But I have to say I agree with everything you said.
So sad that some radio and news reporters make comments like that on such a special occasion. I don't care which word Kylie sang, she was awful and should not have been there. Sylvia

Tuesday, 12 June, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!