Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I am married to Ken. We have no children except a cat and a collection of Australian parrots, finches, canaries and a dozen hens.

Friday, March 06, 2015

More illness for Ken.

Ken has shingles.  He was in pain last Friday and Saturday, and he was supposed to go to the air show on Sunday but was too sick to get out of bed.  In the afternoon he showed me a rash on his back and chest and I knew straight away what it was.  I've never had it, but my Dad did, and when I was a council home carer, some of my clients had it, so I know what it looks like.  On Monday  the doctor confirmed my guess of shingles and put Ken on antiviral medicine for 7 days. He said it was just as well we consulted him in the early stages, as if shingles is left too long without treatment it can last for months or even years. I was  supposed to be on volunteer duty at the Embroiderer's Guild on Tuesday, but I really couldn't leave him alone all day. He said he would be okay,  but if it was me in so much pain I wouldn't be happy about being left on my own all day. It's more moral support, isn't it, when you aren't well. Even though you are on medication and it's just a waiting game until you start to get better, it is just nice to have your loved one with you making cups of tea and sympathetic noises.

Ken had an appointment at the Austin for his quarterly defibrillator check up on Wednesday, but when he phoned them to see if he should come in, the answer was a definite NO!  They didn't want him in the waiting room for hours with all those other sick people!  His car was due back at Mantello Holden today for another recall fixit, and he said he was feeling well enough to go.  He left at 7 am to get there by 8, and was home by 10 am.  While he was gone I whipped the sheets and pillowcases off the bed and washed them and his pyjamas in very hot water.  It was cold outside today, but very windy, so I got everything inside by lunchtime. When he got home, he was exhausted, and all he wanted to do was get undressed and back into bed, so I was glad that I'd changed the bedding in time.


Blogger alison_s said...

I hope MOTH's medication is starting to work. There's nothing worse than feeling poorly. Xo

Saturday, 07 March, 2015  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!