Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Our weekend.

Talk about Dismal Dora! I said to Patty when I emailed her today, that I tend to over-react to some things, and because of Ken's near death experience four years ago, I have this horror of going through that again. But for goodness sake, do I have to inflict my insecurities on the lovely people that read my blog?? I am truly touched by the warm-and-fuzzies I receive every time I have a blog-weep, but I must start including some more positive writings, or my friends will just get sick of hearing it all!

So. About this weekend, which is fast coming to an end as we sit together in our 'computer room', while Ken burns countless DVDs and I read and write blogs!
Saturday is usually the day I catch up on any housework, washing and ironing that I haven't done during the week, and that is what I did yesterday. Ken spent some time in the garden, some time watching the GP Bikes on tv, and some time snoozing. We had a couple of friends over for dinner. We have know W. and C. for about 20 years I guess, having met them a few years after we moved to this suburb. C. is in a wheelchair, as she has had both her legs amputated as a result of complications due to her diabetes. She also had a kidney transplant about 16 years ago. In spite of all this, she is usually cheerful, funloving and participates in their (adult) children's activities as much as any other mum does. I am telling you this, because C. is one of the people in my life who bring me back to the reality of my own blessings in life. My Dad had two favorite sayings that he often quoted:

There but for the grace of God go I, and
I cried because I had no shoes, then I saw a man who had no feet.
They are both great levellers when one is feeling sorry for one's self.
We started off with a bottle of red and some nibbles, then had roast lamb and veggies, followed by a dessert of strawberries and cream on a coconut/oat slice I had made earlier. Back to the lounge room where Ken asked what DVD they would like to watch, and they both voted for a comedy, so we put Benny Hill on and laughed ourselves silly for the next couple of hours!

Today, Ken rode his motorcycle down to Phillip Island with some friends who were going to the Grand Prix. When they arrived at the track, Ken said goodbye, and turned around and came home! This was a 310 kilometres round trip, but that was okay - he just felt like going for a long ride and this was a good reason. He had no intention of attending the GP as the entrance fee was A$77 this year, and he said it was just too expensive and he wouldn't go in on principle. So he arrived back home in time for a quick snooze, then watched the races in comfort. I decided to spend the day stitching, and made good inroads into a sampler I am doing for a friend's 60th birthday. Her birthday was actually in March, but somehow I completely missed it and felt so guilty that I decided to do this for her anyway! I will put a pic of it on Patra's Place shortly. Tonight for dinner, I made a delicious frittata-style meal. French bread cut into slices and laid in a ceramic dish, covered with smoked salmon and crumbly cheese. Mix two eggs and a cup of cream, pour over the salmon, and bake for about half an hour. YUM! Followed by fresh mango and pears with cream. You may have gathered I love cream!

That was my weekend.

3 Comments:

Blogger Miss Robyn said...

what a lovely newsy post ! I had fun reading it & sounds like you had a great weekend.
as to the blog weep - hey go ahead, in my opinion sometimes we need to get it out & blogging friends are great I am finding ...aren't we lucky to have such a tool as the internet?

Monday, 17 October, 2005  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Thanks Robyn...I am learning from you :-)

Tuesday, 18 October, 2005  
Blogger Maggie Ann said...

Those two sayings do tend to 'pull us up' quickly from discouragment. They make a person think twice for sure. I don't think your posts sound like a blogweep at all. You are sharing whats happening and what you feel. Thats journaling...and to freinds!

Friday, 28 October, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!