Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Friday, July 27, 2007

Friday Show And Tell.

Goodness me, it's Friday again! I'm not going to be late this time. In fact I'm too early for you Americans! But here in Melbourne it is 1 am on Friday morning, so my post is quite legitimate.

The Craft and Quilt Fair I attended yesterday is at the Melbourne Exhibition Centre. Right outside this building is this beautifully restored sailing ship, called Polly Woodside.



This enchanting 1885 tall ship is a tangible reminder of Australia’s rich maritime history and of the importance of such ships to the settlement and development.
The Polly Woodside is a three-masted iron barque. The hull is of riveted wrought iron.
The main mast is as high as a 10 storey building.
The estimated size of the sails is 1110 sq metres (about the size of an Olympic swimming pool!)
She was noted for her beautiful lines and speed, being both fast for its size and class and capable in good conditions of travelling at up to 14 knots (c 26 km per hour).
In 1988 Polly was awarded the World Ship Trust Medal for supreme achievement in the preservation of Maritime Heritage, the first merchant ship in the world to be awarded this prestigious award. This is recognition of the international importance of the Polly Woodside and the quality of the restoration. She is in the company a select number of famous ships such as the Mary Rose and the SS Great Britain.

7 Comments:

Blogger Val said...

Gina, I had a look for you too, but was "a bit" distracted by what the fair had to offer. So much so that when hubby asked me if I had seen that old sailing ship, I said "What sailing ship?"

Friday, 27 July, 2007  
Blogger Pear tree cottage! said...

Gina, she is beautiful isn't she. but what are they doing around her at the moment it looks a mess.

I hve seen a wedding party on her that was very romantic to see.

((smiles)) Lee-ann

Friday, 27 July, 2007  
Blogger Kelli said...

Such a beautiful ship, Gina!

Kelli

Sunday, 29 July, 2007  
Blogger Tea said...

Wow, that`s one awesome ship Gina!
It`s huge.
Hope you have a great weekend :)

tea
xo

Sunday, 29 July, 2007  
Blogger ellen b. said...

What a beautiful ship. I'm glad you posted it. Blessings...
http://happywonderer.wordpress.com/

Sunday, 29 July, 2007  
Blogger Mockingbird Hill said...

Thanks for sharing this with us! Australia is one of my dream visits...really do hope to make it one day ;) The ship is beautiful and a wedding there must be lovely.
Have a wonderful week..
Cassie

Sunday, 29 July, 2007  
Blogger Jeanette said...

Hi Gina was at Jeffs shed a couple of years ago and couldnt resist going over and having a look at the Pollywoodside she a lovely piece of work

Sunday, 29 July, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!