Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Sunday, The Day Of Rest...NOT.

Topsy was in a cat fight yesterday. She was attacked by a feral cat who has been prowling the neighbourhood for a few months. None of our neighbours know where it lives, but they are all cross, because it has been upsetting their pets, and killing native birds. We were inside when we heard the commotion in the yard adjoining ours. I went out to see what was going on, and Topsy shot over the fence, past me and inside her cat flap at a million miles an hour. I found her under our bed, her eyes like saucers, and visibly trembling. She didn't come out for ages.

When she did, we examined her to see if there was any visible injury, but with all that black fur and skin, it was impossible to see, but we knew something was wrong, because she howled when we touched her back legs, and she was limping. She didn't want her tea, and she stayed in 'her' chair all night, not coming into the bedroom as she usually does. This morning, I phoned the vetinerary hospital which isn't far away, and described what had happened Topsy. The nurse was very sympathetic, and advised me to bring Topsy in, because if she had been bitten she would need antibiotics to kill the infection before it became an abcess. That happened last year, and it cost us over $400 to have her fixed. This time it cost $120, which covered antibiotic paste (not tablets - paste is much easier to give!) and a pain-killing injection. THAT was a first - we don't recall our animals having that before.

So with Topsy back home and tucking into some food, we settle down for a relaxing afternoon. The phone rang. It was one of Ken's friends - did he want to go for a ride up in the hills on his new bike? Is the Pope a Catholic? David arrived on his new Harley and while Ken was donning his bike gear, David took me for a spin around the block on the back of his bike. YEEE-HAAAA!! Wild ride! Just as well I am an experienced pillion passenger - I nearly fell off the back when he took off up the hill from our place! 1300cc of brute power kicked in immediately! When we got back Ken was waiting at the foot of our driveway and I got off David's bike with a huge grin on my face. Ken said "You haven't had a ride on my new one yet!" to which I could have replied "But yours isn't a Harley"...but I didn't. I just blew him a kiss and said "Later". Here I am rarin' to go!

With the boys off on their joy ride, I settled down on the computer to catch up on my blog reading. About an hour later the phone rang. It was Ken's niece. Are we busy? She was at a loose end, kids with their Dad, and she'd like to pop over for a cuppa. By this time, Ken had returned, and when I told him M. wanted to visit, his face lit up with delight! M. is his only niece and he has always loved her dearly right from the day she was born. She is now in her 30's with two little girls of her own, and he adores them just as much. Not hard to do - M. really is a lovable person - she has a great sense of humour and is friendly to everyone who sails within her orbit. So she arrived about 4.30 pm and stayed until around 7 pm. I asked if she wanted to stay for tea but no, she had things to do at home, and I can relate to that! So that was the end of our day. Ken is now asleep in front of the t.v. while the Grand Prix bikes are whizzing around the track in Germany, and I am here, with lots of blog reading still to do!

Have a great week, everyone!

5 Comments:

Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

Hi Gina,
Hope Topsy is feeling better, now the medication has probably kicked in. Rotten feral critter ... hope somebody catches it and takes it to a shelter !! We used to have a feral in the neighbourhood, many years ago, and my old cat Ratbag wore many scars from scraps with that. It is unfair ... we all do the right thing with our cats, but what's the point, when others don't. One of our neighbours NEVER lets their cat inside ... even at night. We always lock up Bambi at night, so that rotten cat picks on her during the day instead. Can't win.
Love the photo of you on the Harley ... whoo-hoo. Time you went for a ride on Ken's though, isn't it !?!?!
Hope your week is a good one.
I'm working Tuesday and Friday this week, and am helping out at the boarding cattery for a few hours today (Monday).
Take care, Meow

Monday, 16 July, 2007  
Blogger Val said...

Lucky you, vrooming around the hills on a Harley. Like many people, I love the sound of their engines.

Hope your Topsy is all better now. Yeah, vet bills can be expensive!

Monday, 16 July, 2007  
Blogger Val said...

P.S. Hubby courted me on his motorbike in the late 60s when we were students in the San Francisco Bay Area. He had a BMW, riding up and down the steep hills of San Francisco was a thrill.

Monday, 16 July, 2007  
Blogger Miss Robyn said...

Hey Gina! you bikie moll,you, hee, hee. yay for Harleys! You must come visit and you can go for a ride on Joe's or even we may come down on the bike onetime, you just never know.

That Harley is the same as the one Joe had before..
hope all is well with you - I am finally getting past my deep grief and starting to feel human again. xoxo

Tuesday, 17 July, 2007  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Hi girls, thanks for visiting - you all have email!

Wednesday, 18 July, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!