Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Thursday, July 19, 2007

The Start and End of Harry Potter.

I cannot understand why so many people get so excited about the first release of a product that within weeks will be easily accessible around the world. I remember hearing about the release of Microsoft Windows 98, which meant nothing to me at the time, but seeing the news on t.v. showing people rushing the stores to buy this computer operating system on the day of release...well, I couldn't see any sense in that at all.

The same principle applies to the Harry Potter books. Obviously it is all media hype designed to make some people very wealthy very fast! What is the hurry to get a copy, for goodness sake? I happily admit to loving the books as much as the rest of us, but I don't feel the urge to get each book on the day of release to the shops! It will be in libraries soon enough, and yes there will no doubt be huge waiting lists, but I don't mind waiting. I've plenty of other books to read in the meantime!

Anyway, I found one of those naughty websites last night, which supposedly shows some of the pages from Harry's newest tale. I read about 20 pages and am pleased to report.....oh no, I'd better not do that. Several friends would never talk to me again! Hey, I don't even know if these websites are a hoax! But it was fun to find out what happens to Harry And Co. - if indeed the website does have the actual book. But I also found on the Time-CNN website a great article about the Harry Potter books and the world wide build-up leading to 21st July. It shows pictures of bookshops etc. in various cities, and how they have promoted the book's release. Did you know the British Post Office have produced a sheet of Harry Potter stamps? If I was still collecting stamps, I would probably have tried to purchase them...but knowing my luck, they will have sold out already!

3 Comments:

Blogger loulee said...

I'm with you Gina, I too see no need to rush out and buy the new books, games, films, whatever.........sooner or later they will be easily available and probably cheaper!

Friday, 20 July, 2007  
Blogger Val said...

I'm so glad to see there are still people who can put perspective on things. And I know what you mean about having plenty of other books to read in the meantime - the To Read list grows much faster than the Have Read one!

Friday, 20 July, 2007  
Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

Well, Gina ... I went and bought the book today, on it's release day ... but I was going to Forest Hill Chase anyway, so thought it was as good a time as anyway. Got there at 1.30ish, Big W had sold out about an hour earlier, but Angus and Robertson had just got a new stack in (after having sold out hundreds earlier). So, I bought one, no queuing, no hassles. Now to read the last chapter or two of the previous book, just to get my bearings again, and then start on it ... whoo-hoo, can't wait. I refuse to look on those naughty web-sites to find out who dies ... I will find out the good old fashioned way, by reading the book from front to back.
Have a great weekend.
Take care, Meow

Saturday, 21 July, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!