Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Sunday, August 26, 2007

A Pleasant Sunday Afternoon in Melbourne.

I am a volunteer with an organisation called "Do Care", for which the volunteers visit elderly, disabled, or otherwise socially isolated people in their homes. Once a year our local branch puts on an afternoon tea for the clients and volunteers, most of whom have got to know each other after a few years of meeting up at various meetings and events. This one is called "A Pleasant Sunday Afternoon" and is held in winter, as there is nothing much else happening (unless you like football) for older people to do. The Do Care staff organise tea, coffee and cake, as well as some light entertainment.

Today, the numbers were a bit 'light on', possibly because the flu has knocked so many people for six lately. But it was still fun. The two Japanese ladies whom I visit for Do Care never attend this function, even though I offer to take them. They say they would feel uncomfortable due to their limited English skills. So I took one of my home care clients instead. Beryl has a Do Care friend, but she (the volunteer) prefers to spend time with her family on weekends, understandably. Here is a photo of me between Daphne (in red) and Beryl. I am a home carer for both these ladies, and it is nice to see them out and about on these occasions. They were both born in England, and they have a lot in common, so it is a good chance for them to catch up with each other.



The man at the keyboard in the picture below was our entertainer today, and he was very entertaining indeed! He put on a short Buster Keaton silent movie and played the accompaniment, and everyone thoroughly enjoyed that. Then he had a quiz, where everyone had to guess the name of a person in a certain melody. All good clean fun.

3 Comments:

Blogger Val said...

I first heard about Do Care in the late 70s, or early 80s. It always impressed me as being a very worthwhile group with wonderful ideals. I am not surprised that you are involved, Gina!

Re your job, I hope things get worked out in your favor, dear friend.

Sunday, 26 August, 2007  
Blogger Alice said...

Gina! I do see why we are soulmates! I loved every page of your blog. I especially enjoyed reading about the Sunday Afternoon tea. Older folks still have so much to give and are so interesting--I don't know why more people can't see that. Your clients/patients/friends are fortunate to have you in their homes.

Tuesday, 28 August, 2007  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Thank you Val and Alice! I've visited you in return..

Tuesday, 28 August, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!