Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Friday, April 17, 2009

Once seen, never forgotten.

On our way up to Yea on Monday, we drove through Kinglake, where some of the worst bushfire devastation remains. The silence is eerie, and at the same time deafening in this burnt out landscape. Mile up mile of black sticks where lush green bush once was. See the road through the trees? Before the fires, you would never have been able to see that.
The only birds we saw were a pair of Crimson Rosellas at this spot, looking in vain for food. They were moving too fast for me to photograph.


This was the Kinglake Service station. Amazingly on the other side of the road, most of the shops survived relatively intact.

But there are signs of new life already - this tiny fern has little friends popping up around it. And there are many trees with new leaves sprouting from the blackened trunks.


This is what it once looked like. Even when there has not been a fire through a forest for many years, there are usually a few black tree trunks from long ago fires. In a few years, the forest will have regrown nice and green again. But those who were there will remember what was before.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeanette said...

Gday Gina,The fires were devastating, I dont think anyone will ever forget them.. but its nice to see some life shooting from the trees and ferns,
Love the Photo of the large gum in the post below.. Ohh how it erks me when people are to lazy to pick up and take there rubbish home or to a bin .When we were traveling north and pulled over for lunch in the caravan stops. I used to get so annoyed We used to tidy up around the table and put it in nearby bins.Some people are so lazy..

Friday, 17 April, 2009  
Blogger Merle said...

Dear Gina ~~ You chose a great title for this post. Such devastation we will never forget. It is lovely that some of the trees are already starting to shoot new growth.

I also listened to the kookaburras laughing, though of course I have heard it many many times.

Take care, Love, Merle.

Saturday, 18 April, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!