Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Saturday, March 06, 2010

Melbourne's wild weather.

Ken and I had some shopping to do in Melbourne's outer eastern suburbs today. He took advantage of it being Saturday, and slept in until nearly midday. Being the WOTH (woman of the house), I of course was up much earlier and getting things done. Two loads of washing were done and on the line by the time he was up and about. When we finally left the house, the sky had turned from sunshiny blue to a cloudy grey. Over at Boronia an hour later, we emerged from the Hobby Shop (where Ken got bits to repair his broken helicopter) to find huge black clouds and rain. Within minutes of driving off, Ken had to pull over into a parking area - the rain and hail was so severe we could not see where we were going. It sounded and felt like the car was being pounded by twenty golf balls, and we were actually quite scared! Nobody was going anywhere on the roads, traffic lights were flashing as well as the lightning and the roads were awash. Upon inspecting his car the minute we got home, Ken found a dent in the bonnet which was obviously caused by a huge hailstone.

I held out no hope for my washing which had been half dry when we left home; in fact I doubted that it would still be on the line - had vision of my undies strewn over half a dozen back yards! But Somebody Up There must love me. Would you believe, as we came through Eltham, the roads were dry!! It was just starting to rain as we got home, so I rushed out to the back yard and rescued all the washing just in time. We must have been on the fringes of the storm that hit Melbourne because our rain gauge has measured only 10 mls of rain, while elsewhere they had up to 26 mls. You can read more about our weather, and see some interesting photos here.

2 Comments:

Blogger Vintage Linen Treasures said...

Hi Gina,
I saw on the news the Melbourne was getting hit hard. The pictures I saw were pretty frightening and I just wanted to pop in and make sure you're ok. Sounds like you got to experience it first hand. Did you get a lot of damage on your car? I'm so happy that you're alright, your home is safe, and your undies aren't strewn all over the nieghborhood.
Patricia :o)

Tuesday, 09 March, 2010  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Gina ~~ How awful to be caught out in that storm, but I am glad your home didn't have any damage.
I was lucky too in our mini tornado.The rain was horizontal and so very heavy. There are trees and branches all over Shepp that came down on the Sunday storm. I went to Dr. yest and saw a lot of damage and a lot of it had been cleared up. The echo-thingy
showed my heart to be OK and because I am still short of breath, they think now that I have
emphysema now just called lung
disease. I smoked for 40 years so
guess it's self inflicted. We did
not know when I was 17 that it was
so dangerous. Take care, my friend. Love, Merle.

Saturday, 13 March, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!