Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Saturday, February 06, 2010

A day out with Val.

Last week, Val and I decided to go and view the Xmas display at the Johnston Collection in East Melbourne. Most people reading this will probably not know what the Johnston Collection is, and there is too much for me to explain, so click on the link if you want to know more.

The Collection is housed in a residential area of East Melbourne, which in its day was very "up-market". It got run-down for a while, but in the last few decades the area has again become prestigious, and increased in value because of the proximity to the CBD and the renovations of the original houses. We were not allowed to photograph the Johnston Collection itself, so I took photos outside instead.

We started off having an early lunch in the city at Australia On Collins - it was nice and quiet before the lunchtime rush.

Collins Street is one of Melbourne CBD's prettiest streets, with trees along both sides of the wide road, which provide welcome shade on a warm day.

The Johnston Collection is only open to the public on booked guided tours, which start from the Hilton Hotel around the corner. It is only a few minutes walk, but they have a little courtesy bus which takes everyone from the Hilton around the corner - which is handy for the many elderly people who go on the tour. Here is Val waiting to board the bus.

The building that houses the Collection was originally Mr. Johnston's own home.

Guess who? Not Mrs Johnston, that is for sure!


The following photos are of some of the buildings in the same street - fabulous Art Deco styles, stunning lacework verandahs, beautiful churches... Marvellous Melbourne lives on!










***********************

We went back to Val's home afterwards, to show and tell our latest craft projects. Val gave me a copy of an article on making a card using papers to create a cup and saucer. I couldn't wait to try it - here is what I did the same night!

5 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

Wow, those are certainly beautiful houses! It's so interesting seeing places so far away, that I'll probably never get to, and reading the insider view about them.

Thanks for the cat-post plug, by the way!

Sunday, 07 February, 2010  
Blogger Merle said...

Dear Gina ~~ I am glad you and Val had a good day out again. It is good to have someone to go with to these places. I am glad to hear Collins St is still a pretty street with the trees etc.
Thank you for your comment and concern and I haven't been too well.
The feet swell and hurt and are not much better at all. I am OK for half the day, then the fun begins. They get tight, swollen and I can't get comfortable.
I see doctor again on Thursday 11th
after more blood tests.
I do remember Art Linkletter and his radio shows with kids. There
is an opening there for the right person to do it again. I hope to post this afternoon. Take care,
my fried, Love, Merle.

Sunday, 07 February, 2010  
Blogger Finding My Way said...

Gina,
Looks like a fun day. I so miss the warm days. We just got word that a snow storm is coming this way. :( I'll be sending a note soon. Just been insanely busy with work. YES. I still want to trade and need to work out those details. Take Care and have a great day.
-Patty

Monday, 08 February, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Sunday, 14 February, 2010  
Blogger Merle said...

G'Day Gina ~~ Thanks for your comment
and concern. I am so sorry Ken has
the same condition as well as lung disease. Do his feet and legs still swell? I am hoping mine will go down with the extra tablet. I still get
very short of breath still.
Glad you liked the joke about the Talking dog. etc.
Take care, my friend, Love, Merle.

Sunday, 14 February, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!