Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Update on Ken.

We went into the Austin Hospital today, and Ken had an ECG, blood tests and X rays, after which he was interviewed by four different medical people involved with his case. The assistant cardiac surgeon told us that Ken is classified as category 1 (critical), so they have brought his operation forward to next Tuesday. Ken got a bit of a shock, but I wasn't surprised, as his cardiologist has been warning me for years that Ken's heart is in bad shape.


We have another interview tomorrow at the Austin, and a check on his defibrillator, then he will be back at work on Thursday and Friday. He doesn't know if he'll go to work on Monday - probably not, as there is a lot of preparation to be done for the surgery on Tuesday. He will probably stay in hospital up to 10 days, and after that, home for a couple of months.

I told one of the nurses today that after I see Ken off into the operating theatre, I wouldn't be hanging around. She said "That's a good idea - you would go nuts in the waiting room for five hours. We try to persuade families to go out of the hospital when it is a long operation". I said I was being whisked off by my support team of girlfriends who insist on taking me out somewhere so I won't have time to brood! Naturally I will have my mobile phone switched on in case the hospital needs to contact me, but I'm hoping that won't happen. No news is good news under those circumstances.

7 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

P &I will be cheering Ken on from the sidelines... Our love to you both xxx

Wednesday, 02 March, 2011  
Blogger Julia said...

Will be thinking of you both Gina..
love and best wishes..
Julia ♥

Wednesday, 02 March, 2011  
Blogger Linens and Royals said...

What a very worrying time for you.
You are lucky to have the support of good friends at this time. Stitching too helps to keep you busy while you wait and I know you will have yours with you. Sylvia X

Wednesday, 02 March, 2011  
Blogger cell said...

hope he'll recover quickly and be back on his feet in no time!

Wednesday, 02 March, 2011  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Thank you all for your caring thoughts - it means lot. I always pass on all these messages about Ken to him, and he says to say 'thank you' from him as well as me.

Thursday, 03 March, 2011  
Blogger FredaB said...

Good news. The sooner the better and just get it over with.

Good that you will have some friends with you to go have lunch, whatever. There is nothing you can do for Ken at the hospital at that time.

Also I wouldn't even think about the new computer until he is home and doing well. Then you can concentrate on that.

Hugs to you both and will be thinking about you and looking forward to good news.

Hugs

fredaB

Thursday, 03 March, 2011  
Blogger Merle said...

Dear Gina and Ken ~~ My thoughts and prayers are with you both. Keep very
positive thoughts in your minds about how much better things will be
after recovery. I wouldn't try to work on Monday as your mind will be full of Tuesday's ordeal. Suggest
you rest up in preparation for it.
Love and Best Wishes to you both.
Hugs, Merle.

Saturday, 05 March, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!