Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Washi paper quilting.

I discovered this paper craft in a magazine, and being so fond of Japanese crafts, I had to find out a bit more. My friend Aiko in Japan sent me a pack of beautiful Washi (the word is Japanese for handmade craft paper), so I could make a start with paper quilting. There are some great tutorials on YouTube, and this is probably one of the best ones: "Washi Paper Quilting"

I made these yesterday. They are so quick and easy to do, and are a relaxing change from working with textiles. As much as I love patchwork and embroidery, it is hard on my hands these days, so I find myself sewing for short periods of time, then turning to something less tiring on my fingers.




Ken's health is starting to improve, finally. He rode his Honda into the CBD on Thursday, to have his hair cut. (He has been going to the same barber for about 40 years, and refuses to find anyone closer to home). It was the same day I was in town with Doreen from Canberra, and we were all lucky with the weather, as it was fine and sunny. On Friday we had wind and rain, and Ken would not have gone into town in those conditions. It was the first time he'd been anywhere on his motorcycle since early March, so he was a bit unsure of himself, but he got there and back without incident, so it boosted his self confidence somewhat. Driving a car is one thing, but riding a bike takes more physical endurance, and he'd been told not to do it until his ribs had completely healed. There was only one way to find out, and he did! So that is one big hurdle overcome.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

Good for Ken! So glad he's doing better.

Sunday, 19 June, 2011  
Blogger cell said...

wow! they're so pretty!love the little flowers and fans. Japanese paper is so elegant and intricately designed, yet cheerful in their own way. Good on Ken for driving! that must be a very good barber...

Sunday, 19 June, 2011  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Gina ~~ I am glad you have found a new craft medium as a change from
embroidery and needlework. Very pretty, well done. I am do glad that Ken has finally shaken his cold virus and probably shouldn't have tried riding while he had it. Glad he wasn't hurt and is feeling better.
Peter had no trouble to and from Brisbane, but his daughter had to wait a day each way to Adelaide.
I so enjoyed their visit.
Take care my friend, Love, Merle.

Saturday, 25 June, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!