Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Friday, June 10, 2011

Newish computer.

I did it. Lashed out on another computer. My dear old Compaq was getting so slow, and not letting me look at many blogs and websites, so I decided it was Time to get rid of it. The Government Centrelink magazine had an advertisement for refurbished computers for $290. They are ex-government office computers, and the package included an LCD screen monitor, an IBM hard drive, a new keyboard and mouse, and it came with XP Pro and Windows Office 2007.

It arrived yesterday and one of our friends came over to set it up for me. It took him about 2 hours, and he was able to install my scanner and printer on it, so I don't have to buy a new one of those yet. It wouldn't have mattered much, as they are so cheap now, but I hate learning how to use new things, so at least I don't have to learn how to used a new computer or scanner! Learning how to use this PC is another story though! Ken has the Home XP operating system on his laptop, so I knew a bit about it, but XP Pro is slightly different, so I've had to fiddle around to do things that I used to take for granted on the old one.

Mark was able to save my old Favorites list on a memory stick, and put that on the new PC. He saved my Outlook Express address book too, but couldn't transfer it to the new one, so at the moment, I have no email addresses on file. But they are all on the memory stick, so if anyone reading this knows how to get them on to my new PC, perhaps you can explain!

It is great to use - so much faster, and I have been able to catch up on all my old favourite blogs that I haven't been able to see for months. Other than that, it is pretty much the same. It has a DVD drive which I didn't have before, but I can't see myself using that. We have a perfectly good TV to watch DVDs on! I don't see the point of watching them on a small computer screen. But there may be a use for it somewhere down the track, who knows?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!