Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Friday, August 10, 2012

Daffodils among the weeds.

On a typical (cold and wet) day in Melbourne, I took my camera out into our back yard to photograph all the plants that are flowering at the moment - and there are a surprising amount of them.  It probably wasn't a good idea to be outside in such weather when I'm still recovering from the flu or whatever it was, but I hate being cooped up indoors for too long, so I took the risk.
Ken hasn't felt strong enough to mow the lawns or weed the gardens for a while, so after all the rain we've had, there are plenty of weeds. But among them in that garden bed are a host of daffodils, not all golden, and a bit the worse for wear after days on end of wind and rain (not to mention a naughty little cat that loves to pounce on them just to see them bounce back up again).




And the first Hyacinth peeping through.

Some pretty native shrubs...I'm hopeless at remembering the names of these, but hey, does it really matter?
 This one is Jobinia firebell or something.

 Now these two I do know - above is Grevillea Peaches & Cream
and below is Grevillea Firecracker  (I think - correct me if you know I've got them wrong!)
 This wattle (Acacia) tree is next door to us. 
 Close up of the flower.
 And below our beautiful Australian floral emblem The Golden Wattle, is just coming into flower in our back yard.

Topsy was inside keeping warm and dry, but Tiger wanted to be outside with me, investigating whatever it is that cats find so fascinating on the ground.


 Roger and Ralph (the roosters) were happy with their hens and so was I, as they had just laid two eggs.
 Then it started to rain again.   Guess who got inside first?
 And stood by the fridge asking if there is anything to eat.

1 Comments:

Blogger Merle said...

Hi Gina ~~ I love your daffodils and other flowers.
It is surprising how many flower in Winter or coming Spring. I have lots of camelias out at present.
So I remind you of Ken's Mum
with my frozen meals. It sure works well for me. I am glad she still enjoys some jokes and is doing well for her age. I am sorry you had such a bad dose of flu justwhen life was going so well for you.
Take care my friend,
Love, Merle.

Friday, 17 August, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!