Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Camberwell Market on Sunday.

Friends have been telling me for years that I should go to the Camberwell Market.  Ken and I lived in Camberwell 35 years ago, and we couldn't remember any trash and treasure markets back then.   I asked my friend Louise when she was going there again, and she said she was happy to go any time, so our friend Sandra joined us on Sunday.  Ken was out on a bike ride and Louise's hubby was overseas, so it was just us three girls.  We had a ball!  The market is HUGE - anyone living in Melbourne who is reading this blog - if you haven't been there - make the effort!  It is on every Sunday.
We were lucky with the weather - after a cold start at 8 am, it turned out to be a lovely sunny day, just perfect for wandering around among the stalls.  I don't think we saw all of them, as being middle aged ladies we were so tired after four hours on our feet we decided to call it a day at 1 pm and find a cafe to have coffee and cake.


 The variety of goods for sale is incredible - clothing, glass, china, pottery, books, music and movies, furniture - you name it...but no food of any kind.

 There was a huge amount of Royalty memorabilia - Sylvia, I took these photos for you! And this is just one seller's table.

 I love placemats and coasters, and these iconic Australian bird coasters for $5 had to come home with me.
 One stall holder had a huge variety of music DVDs with a lot of early rock'n'roll that Ken and I like, so I bought these three for $10 each.
 The stall where I found these calligraphy ink refills was full of all kinds of bric a brac, and he had $5 on these. I had my purse out, but he must have thought I was hesitating because he said "Oh just give me $2"
Done!
 This is a bath pillow - $5.   Louise and Sandra looked at it and wondered why anybody would bother.  They both prefer showers to baths.  I said "You wait until you get arthritis - I soak in my bath late at night for at least an hour, topping it up with aromatherapy oils and hot water while reading a book.  It is great for getting rid of the aches and pains". 
I also bought two embroidered cloths, but they are on my linens blog if you want to see them.
Louise and Sandra also spent a fair few dollars, but on completely different items!

2 Comments:

Blogger Linens and Royals said...

Wish I'd been there Gina. This confirms my theory that Melbourne has the best markets. All that Royal Stuff! though I admit I do have most of the mugs. My local op shop is having a 50% of everything sale day next week so I will have to make do with that. Sylvia

Tuesday, 16 October, 2012  
Blogger Pam said...

In answer to your question: Scotland has its own parliament, legal system, education system, but we're still subjects of the Queen and share lots of ... um... legislation (I'm rather vague about what) and the economy with the rest of the UK. I certainly don't want to become fully independent. I'm for togetherness, not apartness.

Tuesday, 23 October, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!