Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Sunday, October 07, 2012

If you aren't interested in chooks and flowers, move on!

I spent today at the Embroiderers Guild exhibition, while Ken went to a chook show in Warragul with some friends. We both had a lovely day in our own ways; I was relieved not to be walking around looking at chooks, and he was probably happier there than looking at embroidery! He bought two Rhode Island Red hens, as he's decided he wants to keep them now, so it looks like my white Columbian hen and Roger the Wyandotte rooster will be going to the Eltham Grain Store next week to find new owners. I took this photo tonight while we still had all six chooks.
Then because the sun was out I went around the garden photographing all the plants that are flowering before they die out with the heat of summer. Not that it feels like summer yet - daylight saving started today but it is just as cold as it was a few weeks ago. DST does nothing for me.  I have named the ones I know; the others will have to remain nameless - you know I can't remember the names of plants!
This one is a native Australian Hibiscus.

The following three shrubs have small flowers but look lovely when they are in full bloom.


This Jacobinia Firefly is only a baby, planted a month ago, but it should look stunning when it is a full grown shrub.
Is this Canary Island Lotus creeper?  I'm sure that's something like it.
One of our native orchids.

Not Aussie native, but beautiful bulb that gives one spectacular flower every year.
Native Mint Bush.  We've got them all over the yards front and back; they self-seed and grow rapidly.  Ken digs up the seedlings and plants them around the yards so we have this lovely purple backdrop wherever we stand looking at the yard.   Next time it is windy or rains heavily, we will have a nice purple carpet.

Native Pea Plant, sometimes called the Bacon and Egg plant because of its colours.

The ubiquitous geranium....

Our stag horn plant (actually I don't think that's the right name, but that's what we call it) has become huge since the drought ended, and looks like it will pull the tree trunk down with it one day.  Just as well we had the tree chopped down some time ago.

4 Comments:

Blogger Catherine said...

Fantastic flowers! Great pictures. I loved your little tour. It is autumn here, cooler nights and shorter days. Arizona doesn`t change to DST. Unlike the rest of the U.S we are always Mountain Standard Time (MST). I like that better than changing in spring and winter.

I like your chooks. We had Rhode Island Reds. They are a nice breed.

Monday, 08 October, 2012  
Blogger Linens and Royals said...

The chooks look colourful and happy, that's all I know about chooks.
I love the egg and bacon plant. It's the only wildflower I could ever recognise and it is nice to see it in a garden. Sylvia

Monday, 08 October, 2012  
Blogger Pam said...

I've just been taking pictures of some of my plants before they die of cold! (not that it's cold enough yet, but we could have a frost any night). We all have different problems...

Monday, 08 October, 2012  
Blogger FredaB said...

Hi Patra

Great pics of your garden. We had to give up on so many flowers this year due to the drought and high temps. Hopefully there is always another year coming up and we will be out there again.

I think I too would have enjoyed the Embroiders show rather then the chook one. All things to all people.

Hugs

FredaB

Friday, 12 October, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!