Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Monday, May 20, 2013

MRI scan results.

After all those dismal posts earlier this year about my neck and other problems, I forgot to post an update!  I had the MRI scan that the neurosurgeon booked me in to, and man I hope I never have to have one of those again!  I've been pushed into tunnels for CT scans, but they weren't too bad, as you can still see the end of the tunnel if you keep your eyes open.  But the MRI tunnel is something far more sinister.  First of all, the nurse  gave me ear plugs.  Ear plugs??  Well, it gets a bit noisy in there, she explained.  Once I was lying on the table ready to be propelled into the tunnel, they put a shield-like thing over my face.  I forget what the explanation was, but I assumed it was to protect my head/brain from anything that was being done to my neck.  I was told the process would take about 15 minutes, and they gave me a rubber bulb-thing to hold, and squeeze if I panicked and wanted to be taken out.

For the first few seconds nothing seemed to be happening.  Then it started - a loud drumming noise that went on and on.  Finally that stopped and was replaced by a high pitched noise.  Then the drumming again.  More odd noises interspersed with drumming.  I hate to think what it would have been like without the ear plugs.  I've since been told they used to play music to drown out the sound of the machinery, but it didn't work, so now they use ear plugs.  I was just at the point where I was ready to squeeze my bulb-thing and scream for help when a disembodied voice floated above me saying it was just about over and thanks for my patience.

Phew!  I took a minute or so to get my balance when I got off that table, but the nurses didn't seem surprised.

I suppose it was worth the effort though, to get the incredible images of my neck that shows "multi-level degenerative changes" in much more detail than the previous CT scans and X rays.  Anyway, the good news is that in the words of the neurosurgeon's letter to my GP -

Gina keeps things under control with acupuncture, osteopathy, chiropractory and myotherapy.  I think she is doing a good job with this and there is no indication for surgery.  I am happy to discharge her from my care.

Isn't that nice to be told by an expert that you are doing a good job looking after yourself?


1 Comments:

Blogger Pear tree cottage! said...

gena, thank goodness just about blacked out reding this post of yours I would never cope with that tunnel for sure. So pleased you have been told you look after yourself well....good for you. We have been to the Alfred Hosiptal today Robs shakes getting so much worst and one of his legs now is so sore he can hardly walk at the moment. I have had a huge cold...but we keep looking at each other and laughing getting old is not fun! lol lol

Tuesday, 28 May, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!