Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Friday, June 14, 2013

Phones are back and Ken is happy.

There was a Telstra van parked across the road a few days ago, and as I drove my car out of our driveway, I did a U-turn so I could call out to the man working in the underground pit. He was quite talkative and told me what had happened a few streets away, and how it had affected the area so badly, but advised me to check our phone later on in the day to see if it was okay. We did, and it was. Thank goodness for that.
Ken's second week of retirement is going well. I can see him visibly relaxing and starting to enjoy life. He's been making phone calls to people he hasn't spoken to for some time, because he was too tired, or just not in the mood, and it is great to hear him laughing as they reminisce over old times. He's also been spending a lot of time on his computer, checking out all kinds of things, mostly prices and availability for stuff he's wanted but never had time to chase up before. He even renewed the insurance on his Honda himself after talking over the policy with an insurance rep. I am very happy to hand all that over to him, as I've been doing these things for him while he's been working and unable to make phone calls regarding home stuff like insurance and maintenance issues.
We have received a number of invitations already, for dinner and afternoon teas, and he's accepted all of them. He used to say to me "Oh, do we have to go? I'm so tired, I just don't feel like going out". It's been raining most of this week, and he has greatly enjoyed lying in bed in the mornings listening to the rain and knowing he doesn't have to go out in it every day any more! I've had a few commitments in the past fortnight where I've gone off on my own for the day, or half a day, and at first he wasn't too pleased about being left on his own so soon after he'd retired, but this week he's been fine with it. He even offered to come with me today when I went over to Mill Park to do a talk about Collecting, but when it came to the crunch at 9.30 am and I was ready to go, he was still in bed and happy to stay there while the rain poured down! For me so far, one of the best things is not having to wash and iron four shirts a week in time for the following week ;-)

1 Comments:

Blogger Pear tree cottage! said...

Gina and ken happy days for you both now! How wonderful. It sounds like phone is back on and all is well! That is good too.......Gina cannot tell you how excited I was when I was looking at unlock the past (as you know we are get info from them re family tree) and they announce what is coming up out there and there was a note about a lady who has an amazing collection of linen and she was doing a talk! Yesterday.......I knew straight away it was you! How did it go dear friend? Tell all? :) ��������lol lol lol! Hugs Lee-Ann

Friday, 14 June, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!