Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Friday, January 19, 2007

Continuing saga of my aches and pains!

Back in August last year, I wrote about the pain in my lower back, and that my massage therapist had warned me there was some damage. Well she was right. I was so tired of the continual aching in my hips, legs and feet, that I decided to see every kind of doctor until I found someone who could tell me what the cause of it is. I tried our chiropractor and another GP at our clinic, who sent me for X-rays and blood tests. The X-Rays showed early stages of osteo-arthritis in the base of my spine, thus confirming what I already suspected. Blood tests didn't show any abnormalities.

But, I still wanted to know what was making my feet and legs ache at night. About a month ago, we were visiting some friends, and C. mentioned that she had recently got new orthotics, and that she was a whole lot better since wearing them. Ah! I thought - orthotics! I haven't had my feet checked for 10 years, maybe it's about time. So I made an appointment to see a podiatrist not far from us. She spent nearly an hour with me, getting me to walk up and down with and without my shoes, lie down on my back then on my stomach, while she twiddled my feet. Finally, she explained that 10 years is far too long to go without having your feet checked when you wear orthotics, as feet change with age, thus affecting the rest of your posture. She went on to tell me what was happening with my feet, and how it was affecting my knees and hips.

I received a call today from her office, asking me to come in next week - presumably to collect my new orthotics. I tell you, if they fix my aches and pains as she promises to, I will fly to the moon and back again, and bring my beloved podiatrist a nice big hunk of cheese to thank her! Well, maybe not the moon, but definitely a bottle of wine and a lottery ticket...

3 Comments:

Blogger Scribe With Gold said...

Hi Gina,
Gee you've been busy or I'm just getting slow at reading. I hope this fixes you. I get leg pain a lot and now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have the feet looked at. I used to have a lot foot trouble when I taught. Keep me posted. :)

Friday, 19 January, 2007  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Patty, you have email. Yes - definitely go find a good podiatrist!

Saturday, 20 January, 2007  
Blogger Miss Robyn said...

hmmm wonder if this would fix my hip pain? what kind of shoes do you have to wear? are the orthotics placed inside regular shoes or do you have special shoes?

Saturday, 20 January, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!