Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Quiet weekend at the Wilsons.

After a run of busy weekends, with Easter and my birthday behind us for another year, we have been 'at home' the last two weekends. I have been given a one hour job on Saturday mornings, helping a disabled lady shower and dress, but as she lives just around the corner from us, the travel time and cost of petrol is negligible. I have refused offers of weekend work up until now, even though it's very well paid, because I wanted to keep our weekends free just for us. But as we approach retirement, any extra cash is a bonus, so when my supervisor offered me this job, I was happy to accept it. Apart from the financial aspect, the client is a sweet lady, who has had a rotten deal in life, and I am glad I can help her in my small way once a week.

When I arrived home from visiting my client, a friend rang to say she would drop by for an hour, so I started thinking about what we would have for lunch. I decided to christen my new poffertjes pan, and thanks to Ashleigh, my blogging friend in Holland, my first attempt at Dutch pancakes was a great success! As fast as I cooked them, Louise and Ken ate them, so I only got to taste a couple - didn't even have a chance to photograph them! My pan came with a recipe but it was all in Dutch, so I typed it out and emailed it to Ash, who kindly translated it into English for me. Worked beautifully, Ash! Meow, if you are reading this, you asked me if I had a good recipe for poffertjes, so if you want this one, just email me. Better still, how about coming over one day and tasting them??

As well as doing all the washing and other housework, I made the most of the sunny days and went nuts with the camera. Remember how I hated this camera, because I could never figure out how to use it? I think Topsy has unknowingly motivated me into learning how to use it - half of my pictures are of her!

5 Comments:

Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

Glad you got a great recipe ... mmmm, poffertjes. I bought my pan, which came with a recipe (although there are many differences in recipes around), from the Carribbean Market. Mmmm, got the taste buds going ... might dig it out for lunch !! I love them simple, with butter and icing sugar, and a sprinkling of maple syrup !!
BTW, your invitation sounds tempting !!
Take care, Meow

Monday, 07 May, 2007  
Blogger Scribe With Gold said...

I'm glad you had a good day. :) Wish me luck. I finally found a job and start on Monday.

Monday, 07 May, 2007  
Blogger Ashleigh said...

So glad it worked! Still looking for a better one for you that isn't pants ;) If it worked it can't be *that* pants!

Tuesday, 08 May, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to have to send myself off for some serious punishment.... I've so much of my blogger friend's lives int he past few weeks... and now I find that I have missed your birthday! Geez Nicole, what have you been doing? I will have to get a package off to you my friend as soon as I finish the mothers day pressies. I'm afraid that your needlework spiderweb will have to wait awhile longer though. I'm very sorry I missed you birthday my dear friend.

Tuesday, 08 May, 2007  
Blogger Pear tree cottage! said...

Mmmmm! they sound good but have no idear what they are, are they pancakes?

Yes I know I live in the past and so lovely modern food idears just pass me by! ((smiles))

You may have to educate me on these lovelies they sound very morish!!!
Lee-ann

Friday, 11 May, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!