Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Monday, July 30, 2007

One Day Out Of The Box.

One of the many reasons I enjoy my job so much is meeting so many people. But when it turns out to be someone I knew 35 years ago...what a shock! I used to work in the office of a soft furnishings warehouse back then, and one of my jobs was to open the morning mail with the help of another girl. The daily mail could be up to 100 letters, so it took a while, and we got to know each other well, becoming good friends. L. left after a year or so, and I often wondered what happened to her since then.

Imagine my surprise when I arrived at a new client's home this morning to cook breakfast and assist with her shower, and another car pulled up in the driveway. A lady got out and came over to the door and we made small talk about our work until the client opened the door. Once inside, the other Carer explained what my duties would be, and while I was cooking breakfast and she was vaccuming, we talked some more about our respective jobs. After a while she asked me if I'd worked in a certain suburb about 30 years ago, and when I said yes, she said "I knew it was you, as soon as you said your name was Gina". I still hadn't recognised her, and when she said her name was L. you could have knocked me over with the proverbial feather! I told her I'd often thought of her and wondered where she'd gone, so she brought me up to date on her life so far.

She asked if I was still an Elvis fan and when I said that I'd seen him in concert, she called out to our client "Did you hear that M? Gina saw Elvis in concert!" It turned out that our client was an Elvis fan too, so after I'd helped her shower and dress, L. made us all a cuppa and we sat around and talked about Elvis. M. got up to put a music tape on, and when Elvis' voice rocked out at us, she tugged my hand and got me out of my chair. Then she started jiving; God only knows how she knew I was an expert jive dancer all those years ago - L. must have said something. M. is partially paralysed, but she was able to dance through three songs before dropping back into her chair with a huge grin on her face!

This is the kind of thing that really makes my day wonderful - not just a chance meeting with an old friend, but to bring some joy into someone else's life, even only for a few minutes.

6 Comments:

Blogger Val said...

Gina, what a FABULOUS post! I am going to put it in my Shared list on my blog (something I've recently discovered you can do).

Wish though you had a video of proceedings to offer us! Elvis and jiving - yeah!

Tuesday, 31 July, 2007  
Blogger Miss Robyn said...

oh how lovely for the 'client' to get up and dance! wonderful.. I bet it made her day xo

Tuesday, 31 July, 2007  
Blogger Jeanette said...

Hi Gina, What a lovely post, you would have had one very happy client, having a jive then a cuppa with her.
btw, My Son lives in Doreen, and a Daughter in Millpark, another daughter used to live in Eltham she now lives near me and another in Mooroopna...(((hugs))))

Tuesday, 31 July, 2007  
Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

What an amazing woman ... it must have been a special visit for you both.
Thanks for sharing.
Take care, Meow

Thursday, 02 August, 2007  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Gina ~~ Great post and I am sure your client will enjoy further talks about Elvis. Great that you saw him
in concert. I am a fan too even at my age. Nice to meet you, through Val.
Take care, Cheerio, Merle.

Sunday, 05 August, 2007  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Thank you ladies for your warm and friendly comments. It was a neat experience, I must admit - not something that happens on a regular basis with my home care clients! Unfortunately I may not see this lady again, as I was only filling in for her regular carer who was away sick or something.
Jeanette, it sure is a small world - Doreen and Mill Park aren't so far from me! Next time you are visiting either of them, see if you can squeeze in a visit a bit further south!
Hi Merle, great to meet you too!

Wednesday, 08 August, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!