Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Saturday, August 11, 2007


Hooray! I finally got the official Show and Tell icon on my post! Now to choose something to show...

This item is one of three ornaments that my father gave me when he was cleaning up the family home in preparation to move out. Like the cherubs I had on here a month or so ago, I can only guess what this was used for. Underneath it, there is a circular red mark which reads 'Alexandra Porcelain Works Made In Austria' around the perimeter. Inside this, there is a crown with the words Royal Vienna.
There is a number (1504) pressed into the porcelain, and another number painted on it: 9890 over 10.
I took it to an antique shop once and the lady beind the counter looked down her nose and sniffed "oh, art deco - so common, worth nothing". Well, I can live with that - I really don't want to be worried about it getting broken if it was valuable! But one would think she could have been a little more polite.

18 Comments:

Blogger Marci said...

Don't let her get you down. Snobs are a dime a dozen. Your little piece IS a treasure because of where it came from and who gave it to you. Enjoy!!!!

Saturday, 11 August, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

More polite indeed!

It's a wonderful piece, especially coming from your dad's home.

Saturday, 11 August, 2007  
Blogger ellen b. said...

Well I think it's wonderful looking. Are those two owls sitting on the rim? Beautiful. Enjoy it...
http://happywonderer.wordpress.com/

Saturday, 11 August, 2007  
Blogger Susan said...

Very different piece. Maybe someone in blogland will have some information on it. One of my pet peeves are shobby people. How unkind of her. I always get tickled at sales clerks in very find dress shops that look down their noses too!
Susan

Saturday, 11 August, 2007  
Blogger Lady of the house said...

How very rude! A lovely piece and story, though.

Saturday, 11 August, 2007  
Blogger Lana G! said...

I love it! What a great treasure and shame on that woman for being so impolite!

Have a great weekend!

Lana G!
http://airmiles.wordpress.com/

Saturday, 11 August, 2007  
Blogger Barbara H. said...

I think it's lovely!

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

Saturday, 11 August, 2007  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

She was just jealous cuz YOU had it! hehe What an interesting piece, love all the detail! xo

Saturday, 11 August, 2007  
Blogger Reviekat said...

What a neat little piece you have! I wonder if it is something like a jewelry holder or soap container?

Saturday, 11 August, 2007  
Blogger Sara at Come Away With Me said...

I love the little birds perched on the rim! Very pretty.

Saturday, 11 August, 2007  
Blogger Kelli said...

I'm sorry to hear the lady was so rude. I think it's a very sweet and lovely treasure!
Kelli

Saturday, 11 August, 2007  
Blogger Lynne said...

I think it's a pretty piece. I like the birds.
This was the first week I finally got the official Show and Tell logo on my post-hope I remember how to do it for next week :o)

Saturday, 11 August, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Gina, thanks for dropping by. Don't worry about that snooty lady. I think your piece is beautiful whatever period it is. I love art deco, though. One of my favourite periods. BTW, did you get my second email about yum cha?

Saturday, 11 August, 2007  
Blogger retha said...

Rude I would say.
Here Art Deco is sought after.

Saturday, 11 August, 2007  
Blogger Jeanette said...

Hi Gina i think its very pretty with the little birds sitting on the rim, How rude of that shop assistant I bet she would love it.

Saturday, 11 August, 2007  
Blogger Scribe With Gold said...

Very, very pretty. You've got some of the neatest things. :) I also like the icon. You're getting very techie. Camera's, icons, What's next? :)

Sunday, 12 August, 2007  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Ellen: yes, they are owls sitting on the rim of this ornament.
Lynne: I ended up doing a cut and paste of the icon. I saved it in My Documents and will simply retrieve it from there every week for my Friday post.

Sunday, 12 August, 2007  
Blogger Pear tree cottage! said...

Gina, art deco or vintage cottage is very collectable and in some cases even more then a french piece or a victorian art glass.

Owls were used in a lot of art pieces back then a wise bird for a wise person they said.

I feel sure the antique shop lady simply did not want to spend the time to give you any history or value because she would get nothing out of it "they are a bit like that" also the down play a piece so they get them cheap all the time. your piece is beautiful.

Gina you must watch the collectors on the ABC on friday 17th this friday as Liz from the collectors chat on ebay is going to be on it with all her green pieces. I know you remember her from our visit with them at the museum.

Lee-ann

Monday, 13 August, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!