Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Monday, November 26, 2007

I don't usually talk 'politics' on this blog, but..

I've been a member of the Liberal Party of Australia for many years, and have handed out How to Vote cards at polling booths for both State and Federal elections in that time. Most voters are polite, regardless of who they are going to vote for, and most of the time, the people handing out HTV cards are friendly too, and we discuss our political beliefs quite freely at the polling venues without rancour. However, there are occasionally exceptions to the rule.

On Saturday, I was holding my HTV cards out to everyone who passed, with the words "Are you voting Liberal?" - just as the others do with their HTV cards a few yards from me. One woman snapped at me "Can't you read my badge?" and taken aback, I said "No - what does it say?" and had a closer look. On her jacket was a round badge (possibly home made, I don't know) with black letters on a yellow background, stating "Howard Hater". (For anyone overseas who isn't au fait with Oz politics, John Howard was our Prime Minister until Saturday night.) Well, I saw red. I don't often lose my temper to this degree, but I was incensed with rage. I shouted at this woman "That is absolutely disgusting. There is enough hatred in the world today without people like you inciting more violence and hatred by wearing something like that. You really set a fine example to your kids, don't you"...and on and on I went. She muttered something rude about J.Howard, but couldn't get a word in with my yelling and shouting at her. She went into the polling booth with her tail between her legs, and obviously came out another door or walked in the other direction, because I didn't see her again.

The people along the path who were handing out Labor HTV cards were very quiet for a few minutes, then one of them came up to me and apologised for this woman's stance. He said "We're not all like that you know, and I don't think Kevin Rudd (who is now the Prime Minister) would approve of badges like that". I acknowledged his comment, and then turned my back on them and continued with my hand outs.

Readers of this are probably wondering why I've even bothered writing this post, but I am still angry, and am considering writing to one of the papers about it. But first I felt I had to 'vent' here. This is a democracy; the majority have voted and Labor have won government, and I bet that woman is still laughing. And I still think she and anyone else who wears a badge like that are just horrible people.

4 Comments:

Blogger Miss Robyn said...

you know my feelings after our chat last night.... only 3 years hopefully xoxo

Tuesday, 27 November, 2007  
Blogger Pear tree cottage! said...

Gina, as Rob has said they have very small memories as to "how it was" before liberal came in, well I hope by the time the three years are up those kind of missfits! will be well and truly rushing around with their tails between their legs. Good on you Gina, for speaking out like that! NO TRULY GOOD ON YOU!

I wonder how and what this fine country will be run like in months for now infact it scares us! to think about it.

Lee-ann

Tuesday, 27 November, 2007  
Blogger lindsaylobe said...

Disappointing to see such ugly behaviour. What characterised the campinging and at the booths which I attended was what I thought was a general air of friendliness.
Let’s hope your experience represents an unusual isolated instance. When your personally experience such ugly behaviour it’s quite a shock to the system, so I trust your able to feel better having blogged about it.
Best wishes
.

Tuesday, 27 November, 2007  
Blogger Alice said...

Good for you for standing up for your beliefs, first in handing out the cards and then with that rude woman. I certainly understand how an encounter like that can stay on your mind for days but try not to let that woman rob you of any more of your pleasant hours--she's not worth it!

Wednesday, 28 November, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!