Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Saturday, November 10, 2007

This year is slipping by too fast...

Fancy me not posting anything here for over a week...yup, it has been one week and one day since I wrote about my boring week. Still, I guess I'm lucky to have a workable computer to use...not like poor Lady Laurie. She recently posted this comment on her blog:
Sunday our cat Binky decided to throw up on the keyboard of our computer. I know that sounds so nasty!! Apparently it seeped down into its depths and now we believe the video card is fried.
EEEWWWWW! Topsy is no longer allowed to practice typing on here. Isabelle, take note - I saw the photo of your furbabies on keyboards!

My past week has been a little less boring. Being unemployed bothers me greatly, so I turn to the next best thing - volunteer work. I still have my two little Japanese ladies to visit once a month as my Do Care commitment, but having time on my hands, I decided to join the volunteer team at Nillumbik Community Health Service (NCHS). Wednesday was my first day. I am assigned to PAG - Planned Activity Group, for frail and aged citizens. About 9.30 am, two small buses (driven by volunteers) collect the residents from their homes and bring them back to the NCHS centre, where a previously planned activity takes place, such as a guest speaker or craft activity of some kind. Sometimes the residents are taken out somewhere for the day.

On Wednesday, they had a picnic at Westerfolds Park. Four volunteers including me, took 17 oldies to the park, settled them in a shady area at the tables provided, and prepared lunch (sandwiches, tea, coffee, fruit juice). The weather was perfect, our oldies were relaxed and enjoyed each other's company.

After lunch had been eaten, we offered to take people for a short walk (bear in mind most of these people use walking sticks or frames). Three ladies said yes they would like to do that, so I took one lady, and one of the other volunteers took the other two. I headed off in a different direction, and thoroughly enjoyed my old friend's company. We found a lot to laugh about, and the years between us fell away as we giggled like a pair of teenagers over silly things.

When we got back to the group, the other walkers had just got back and were telling everyone what they saw on their walk - a car parked off in the scrub, with two people actively engaged in....well, you'd never guess!! Everyone was laughing so much, I think that made their day! That on its own didn't make make my day, although it provided a good story for the next few days! I simply enjoyed the company of these senior citizens as I always do. They are a veritable fountain of knowledge, and most of them have a great sense of humour. I'm looking forward to my future involvement with the NCHS; as the saying goes, one door closes and another opens. If the job I have applied for is offered to me, I'll make sure that Wednesdays are free for me to continue with NCHS.

4 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

You know, you are a truly good person. I do hope that when you're old, you get someone like you to give you a hand too. Hope you get what you want in the way of a job.

Love the puss pictures! Topsy is beautiful. Our catlets are getting big - and seem to take up most of the sofas. Strange...

Sunday, 11 November, 2007  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Thank you, Isabelle. If your 'catlets' get as big as Topsy, they'll be pushing you all off your sofas! Topsy nearly pushes one of us out of bed when she decides to come up on to the bed for a cuddle in the early hours of the morning. We are woken by a 'thump' on one of us, and loud constant prrrrrrrrring in our face until we bring an arm from under the sheet to stroke her.

Sunday, 11 November, 2007  
Blogger lindsaylobe said...

The work you are doing now on a voluntary basis is no less valuable, or indeed in some ways seems similar to what you were doing when you were a Carer. That is looking after people’s best interests and their general wellbeing.

That’s great news for those folk who will no doubt appreciate your vitality and effort in making those outings memorable occasions. Keep up the good work; it’s what makes the world go around a little smoother. Best wishes

Tuesday, 13 November, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Gina, what do you mean "this year is slipping by too fast"? Shouldn't that be past tense - "this year has slipped by too fast"? LOL

I am so glad you are still enjoying time well spent with our older citizens. You are a good soul.

Blessings and bliss

Wednesday, 14 November, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!