Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Friday, November 16, 2007

Good news for my Ken.

Ken had his yearly check up with the cardiologist on Thursday. He hates going there, always afraid they will find something nasty. But no, after an echo cardiogram and an ECG, Dr.H said he was very pleased with Ken's state of health. There was no deterioration in the condition of his heart, and he is generally stable, which meant no change to his medication. Dr. H. said "I don't know what you're doing, but whatever it is, keep doing it!" Neither of us was game to say "It is probably the vitamins and herbs that the naturopath put him on a few years ago". Dr. H. is very conservative when it comes to medicine - none of that herbal hocus pocus for him!

With Ken in a good frame of mind, I suggested going to visit Helen, as we weren't far from the rehab.centre where she is. We arrived there about 5.30 pm, and Helen was sitting in the dining room, at a table in a wheelchair. She was in the middle of her dinner, which going by the faces she was pulling, was not up to her standard of cooking! She poked at the 'dessert' (a small piece of some kind of cake in a small plastic tub...ugh), and said she'd had enough. Ken pushed her wheelchair back to the common room where some of the other patients were watching t.v., and we stayed to chat for about half an hour. I told her that her blog friends have been asking about her and she was pleased to think that she is remembered after all this time. Someone brought a laptop in for her a week or so ago, but she wasn't able to use the keyboard well enough to do much, so it was taken away again. What a bummer - I would have at least been able to bring up everyone's blogs for her to have a look at.

She is looking forward to tonight (Friday), because Sandra, Jenny and I are going to visit her about 7 pm. We are taking a teapot, nice china cups and saucers, pretty cloth and napkins, smoked salmon sandwiches, cakes, and Twinings Tea(Helen's favorite). We are going to set everything up in a corner of either the dining room or the common room (whichever is the quietest!) and play ladies!
(Make note to self to take camera)

4 Comments:

Blogger Alice said...

Yes, please do take your camera! And tell Helen that she's still in my thoughts and prayers. I know she'll love the tea you're planning.

I certainly can understand that your husband gets nervous and anxious before seeing the cardio doc. It really is a big deal, I think. But how wonderful that he had good news! I'm sure that is as much a relief to you as it is to him. And I'm sure you deserve half the credit for his good health!

Friday, 16 November, 2007  
Blogger Pam said...

So glad about Ken's good news.

Do say hello to Helen from me. You're such a good friend to her and I'm sure she'll love her party. Poor her; it must be so trying for her to be unable to do things she loves. I hope she continues to improve.

Friday, 16 November, 2007  
Blogger Sharon said...

Give Helen my love... And fantastic news about Ken - didn't I say he looked much better...

Friday, 16 November, 2007  
Blogger Pear tree cottage! said...

The wonderful good news about Ken will be shared with Rob tonight, I know he will be pleased as he is always saying did you hear from Gina & Ken today?

I loved the tea party idear for Helen, you are such a kind gentle lady who cares so much for others........why carn't those who employ carers see what we all can in you my dear friend.

Lee-ann

Wednesday, 21 November, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!