Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Helen's Tea Party at the Rehab. Centre!

Helen, Sandra, Jenny and I met through volunteering for the first Neighbourhood Watch program to be set up in Eltham about 20 years ago. I was elected Area co-ordinator, Jenny was assistant co-ordinator, Sandra was the secretary and Helen was editor of the monthly newsletter. We met often for official NHW stuff, but became good friends outside of that, as we are all about the same age group (give or take a few years).

Helen and I see more of each other because we only live a few streets from each other, while Sandra is in the next suburb, and Jenny moved years ago to a suburb about 15 minutes drive away from us. We manage to get together for a 'girls night out' dinner two or three times a year, and last night we were scheduled to go to Helen's place for tea. But as I said in a previous post, that was not to be, so we 'took the mountain to Mohammed'...is that the right phrase? (Isabelle - correct me if I'm wrong!)


I took several photos, and a friendly visitor at a nearby table offered to take one of the four of us. From left: Sandra, Jenny, Gina, with Helen sitting.


I took this pic, showing as much as possible of our table with the goodies (smoked salmon and avocado sandwiches, selection of cream pastries, and a small cheese and biscuit platter. You can also see the nice china and pretty cloth and matching napkins, if you look closely.

Our evening was a success in all ways. When we arrived at about 6.45 pm, Helen was sitting in her wheelchair beside her bed, looking hopefully through the door. She had some makeup on and her hair had been brushed. Her face lit up when she saw us, and there were hugs (and a few brief tears) all round. She instructed me where to go - a room where there were separate tables and chairs, which was just perfect. We set up our table, poured tea and settled back to chat. Helen still has minor speech difficulties, so she was happy to let us ramble on, and commented when she wanted to. Visiting hours officially finish at 8 pm, but nobody came to tell us to go, so we stayed until about 8.30, then took her back to the ward. The nurses at the desk looked up with a smile and said "Oh there you are! Been out raging, have you?"

I passed on all the good wishes from Blogland (Sandra's daughter in England has a blog, but Jenny had to know all about this!), and Helen sends thanks and hugs to all.

6 Comments:

Blogger RUTH said...

Good to see Helen and friends :o) That spread looks lovely.
Rx

Sunday, 18 November, 2007  
Blogger MrsG said...

Well those photos were a surprise! I must be loosing brain cells because I never even thought that the Sandra you were talking about was Mum!!!

The food looks delicious and now I'm hungry for salmon sandwiches!!!

Tuesday, 20 November, 2007  
Blogger Alice said...

What a beautiful tea you had. Everything looks absolutely lovely. It was so good to "see" Helen. She looks quite strong in the pictures, a good indication she'll be restored completely.

Tuesday, 20 November, 2007  
Blogger Pear tree cottage! said...

Wow! you girls know how to cheer up a heart don't you. Helen looks delighted to be drinking from a china cup and doing so with friends. "very special" that is what I feel you all are.

We will chat soon promise! as soon as the baby is born Fiday "Amanda's baby that is!"

Please give Helen my good wishes when you next see her.

Lee-ann

Wednesday, 21 November, 2007  
Blogger Jeanette said...

Hi Gina, OHH those Salmon and Avocada sandwiches look so yummy. What a lovely spread with beautiful china,you lovely ladies put on for Helen, Lovely Photo of the 4of you and to see Helen doing so well she will be home before you know it.Please pass on to Helen my best wishes for a full recovery...

Wednesday, 21 November, 2007  
Blogger Pam said...

What lovely friends Helen has. I hope she goes from strength to strength.

Monday, 26 November, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!