Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Thank you Friends, for your concern!

The heading says it all. My previous post warning of an absence brought forth some very kind comments, all of which I greatly appreciate. I guess 'apologise' was not an appropriate word; I haven't done anything wrong, after all! Ken's mate is still seriously ill. His Mum and sister have flown up to Brisbane from Melbourne to be with him, so of course Ken wants to go as soon as possible. I don't know yet if I will accompany him; it depends on whether he flies up just for a day (it is a two hour trip each way), or stays with Ken's family overnight.

I haven't heard anything from my supervisor about my client, so I still don't know if I'll be working this week. Mother's Day was spent at Ken's Mum's house, with Ken's sister, her hubby, her daughter and her two daughters - does that make sense?! Four generations, anyway. I had reservations about going, after what happened at MIL's birthday party, but something must have been said to a few people, because everyone was very warm and fuzzy yesterday, much to my relief! Ken was pleased too, that there was no discord. We are hoping it will stay that way!

The sun came out briefly this afternoon so I was able to get some new photos of the birds in Ken's aviaries. People seem to enjoy them!
The newest addition: four Bantam Hens. The naughty things wouldn't stand still and line up for me, but you can see we have two red ones and two speckled ones...'buk buk buk'..mmm...fresh eggs soon I hope!

The larger blue budgie in the middle is a recent addition. Ken bought him from the local bird shop, hoping he will pair up with the blue female on the left, which is one of the budgies that we bred last year.

Zebra Finches, all in a row.

These little baskets are what the Zebra Finches nest in when in captivity. The bird on top of the basket nearest the camera is waiting for his mate to come out again. She had been popping in and out but they move so fast I couldn't get a picture of her before she disappeared back inside the nest.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alice said...

It is always interesting to see Ken's aviaries. The birds are so pretty. I'd love to hear the sounds they make.

I'm sorry about Ken's friend and hope that he's able to arrange a visit easily. It sounds as though you'll keep busy if you don't go too.

Tuesday, 13 May, 2008  
Blogger Scribe With Gold said...

Gina,
I love the pictures. They are so pretty. We were in a pet store yesterday and one finch was going for 28.00 USD.
I haven't posted anything worth mentioning. I had some health issues but I'm relieved and back on the mend so I hope to start posting again soon.
Also; been busy finishing up a big web project for my work. I'll be so happy when that's done.
The weather here has left to be desired. Storms and high winds. Cold then Hot. Crazy weather.
Keeping you and Ken in my thoughts.
-Patty

Monday, 19 May, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!