Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

RSPCA Opportunity shop, and a small death in the family.


I've been a member of the RSPCSA for over 30 years, but until today, had never been to their opshop in Burwood - across the road from the RSPCA headquarters. I was cruising through Burwood this morning on my way to visit Ken's Mum, and as I approached the RSPCA I decided this was the time to go to the opshop! I'm so glad I did. Look what I found for $10. Ken rolled his eyes when he saw it..."More cups and saucers! Where are you going to put them, for pete's sake?" to which I replied "Well, I'll just have to get rid of some of the old ones, won't I?"

******************************************
"A Small Death In The Family" I can almost hear you saying "What is she on about now?" Ken goes up to the aviaries every morning before he leaves for work, to check on his birds. This morning, he had one foot in and one foot out of the door of one of the aviaries, when Latte (next door neighbour's cat) dived in between his legs like greased lightning and grabbed a baby budgie that had just landed on the ground. He took off with it in his mouth, with Ken in breathless pursuit, and got over the fence before Ken could catch him. Ken came inside panting so much I thought he would have cardiac arrest on the spot. He told me what happened, then he had to leave for work.

About 10 minutes later, just as I was about to go out, M, one of the teenage girls from next door arrived at the front door. She held a tissue box out to me, tears streaming from her eyes and said "I'm so sorry...Latte dropped the budgie at our front door, then the dog found it, but I got it off him". The poor kid was so upset, and she'd gone to the trouble of making a little nest of flowers in the box, and wrapping the budgie's body up in a tissue. I hugged her and told her not to worry. I wasn't mad at her - not even at Latte. As I said to M, Latte is a cat, and he was doing what comes naturally to cats. He saw the opportunity to grab a bird and he went for it. It was Ken's fault for not being more vigilant when he was leaving the aviary.

When Ken came home, still upset about the loss of one of his precious babies (it had just left the nest for the first time, that's why it had landed on the floor), I showed him the little coffin that M. had made up, and he thawed out somewhat. He still reckons he'll chase Latte out of the yard in future, but I told him that he just has to be more careful himself. The birds are perfectly safe in their aviaries, as long as the doors are secure.

The black bantam in the photo on this blog last week turned out to be a rooster. We decided to keep him, and he gets put into a box at night to muffle his early morning crowing, so as not to annoy the neighbours. Two of the hens are sitting on eggs, so with a bit of luck we might have some little fluffy chickens running around in a couple of weeks!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeanette said...

Hi Gina..Great finds at the "RSPCA"Op shop didnt know one exisisted.
I know theres a normal Lort Smith animal pet shop in the new shopping complex in cooper st Epping. My Daughter priced a couple of Items for me there and I found I could get each $4.cheaper in Wangaratta. so next trip into Wang will pick them up... Warm hugs Jen.going to be 30c here tomorrow..

Wednesday, 01 October, 2008  
Blogger Pam said...

Oh dear, nature red in tooth and claw...

Thursday, 02 October, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!