Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Monday, September 22, 2008

Chooks and ATCs

Those two topics were the highlight of my weekend. (I say that with tongue in cheek...) The ATCs can be seen on my other blog Patra's Place. Ken decided to buy some more bantam hens. He has four in one of his aviaries, and thought it would be nice to have some more in the aviary next to it. Bear in mind that the first one has already in residence a pair of budgies with four babies about to leave the nest, and the second one has a dozen zebra finches. Neither of these families have given their permission for Ken to add foreigners to their little domains, not that it would matter one way or another. Ken pays the bills and provides the food, so he has the final say.

I saw a notice in the local seed and grain store yesterday, and stupidly pointed it out to Ken - "Bantams for Sale - phone (this number)". Ken phoned it immediately, and found the seller lives about 20 minutes away, so we went there today, and he chose three more hens for his flock:

A white 'Leghorn',

A black 'Rosecomb',



and a 'Belgian D'uccles' (sp)

I like this little hen the best - her feathers extend down to her claws, so she looks like she is wearing fluffy leggings!

2 Comments:

Blogger Alice said...

I remember my great-aunt having banties (as she called them.) They had a very unique sound. Do Ken's hens make that noise?

Tuesday, 23 September, 2008  
Blogger Gina E. said...

To me they sound like most other hens - make a kind of 'buk-buk-buk' sound. When they are laying an egg, it gets louder and turns into a real cackle!

Tuesday, 23 September, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!