Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Shit happens.

Sorry if that offends anyone, but that is the most accurate phrase to describe what has happened to my poor hubby. Ken hired a car from Hertz Rentals to drive from the airport to his friend's home, which is about an hour's drive from the airport. Of course he also used the car to take his friend out and about while he was there On Monday they were driving down an unmade road, when the car slipped off the side of the road into a culvert. Nobody in the car was hurt, and the car was still drivable, but he phoned me and asked me to contact Hertz to report it. I did, and was told that because Ken hadn't taken out insurance, he would have to pay $3000 immediately, and when the car is fixed Hertz will refund him if there is any change out of the $3000.

Ken's mate knows a panel beater, so they took the car there today, and got a quote for the damage - $1700. My poor baby, it has absolutely wrecked his little holiday with his friend, who has been trying to cheer him up, instead of the other way around, which was why Ken went up there in the first place! I've told him not to worry about it - nobody is hurt, the car isn't a write-off, and we're not going to lose the house over it. It's just money. We're getting $2000 from the Australian government in December - a one off payment that everyone on the aged pension will get to help them over the bad times ahead, according to our Prime Minister. Thank you Mr Rudd - looks like it will be just in time to pay for this accident!

4 Comments:

Blogger bigbikerbob said...

Hi Gina, I would think that title very apt considering hubby's problems,lets hope both of them can put it behind them and enjoy the rest of there time together.

Friday, 14 November, 2008  
Blogger Pam said...

Oh dear, what a shame. And I'm glad you can be philosophical about it. Money's not so important compared to health and happiness. But it's tough all the same.

Sunday, 16 November, 2008  
Blogger Jeanette said...

Gday Gina, I hope Ken can put this behind him and enjoy the rest of his time with his mate.. Very apprpriate. "Shit Happens".. take care hope you enjoyed the concert..

Monday, 17 November, 2008  
Blogger Alice said...

Oh, how rotten. It doesn't seem a bit fair for Hertz to charge $3000 and then refunding what was left. Why not charge the actual cost from the start.

Wednesday, 19 November, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!