Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Going to the movies.

We went to the movies last night, for the first time in ages. For someone who has as many movies on DVD and video as Ken does, it is very hard to get him off his bum and go out to see new movies at a theatre instead of waiting for them to come out on DVD. Some friends (L and M)had told us they were going to see 'Sherlock Holmes' and I asked if we could join them. Ken made disparaging remarks to the effect that Basil Rathbone was the only person who could play the part of Sherlock Holmes, but I ignored that and said I'd go online to book seats for us.

I asked M if they'd seen 'Avatar' and he said no, but it is on at the same theatre. So I asked Ken if he'd rather see that, and he said yes, because someone at his work said it was worth seeing. M said to call him once I'd made the booking, so I did, and they invited us to have dinner with them before we went out. I love it when things happen spontaneously - it seems to be more fun than when you plan in advance.
After a delicious tea of quiche, salad, crepes with berries and icecream, we took off for the cinema. As 'Avatar' is in 3D, Ken and I had to obtain the 3D glasses, so M and L left us to go to their movie.

On Friday night, Ken and I had a look at previews of 'Avatar' on the internet, and while Ken was looking forward to all the special effects, I wasn't over-excited about the prospect of two or three hours of shock and awe! Blog friend Anne had told me it was romantic, and a bit of a tear-jerker, and I couldn't see how that was, after seeing the shorts on You-tube. But she was right. Yes, the sound and visual effects were sensational, but the storyline was also terrific. Certainly sad in parts, but the goodies (aliens) won over the baddies (American military!), so all ended well. Ken emerged from the theatre blinking happily, saying "I'll be getting that when it comes out on DVD!".

4 Comments:

Blogger Linens and Royals said...

Everyone is talking about 'Avatar' being the best movie ever made but it does not sound like a movie I would enjoy. After your recommendation I might just go to see what all the fuss is about.

Monday, 18 January, 2010  
Blogger Gina said...

What is it with men and Basil. Mal is exactly the same, if it's not Basil playing sherlock he doesn't want to know.

Tuesday, 19 January, 2010  
Blogger FredaB said...

My daughter and family went to see Avatar and she told me Mom you and Dad would like it. It doesn't appeal to me from the little I have seen on TV. What I want to see is the Young Victoria. It hasn't come to a theatre near us here but when it does a few gals on the street are going to go. I think it will be more of a gals movie. I want to know more about her life and of course all the costuming will be brilliant. Can't wait.

Hugs

FredaB

Tuesday, 19 January, 2010  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Well Sylvia...I wouldn't call it the best movie ever made! I have enjoyed many other movies more than this one, but it all boils down to personal choice, doesn't it?
LOL, Gina! Your Mal and my Ken are not the only blokes who think Basil R. is the be-all and end-all of Sherlock! I've heard a few other men say the same thing.
Freda, the shorts I saw of Avatar don't do it justice, as they didn't touch on the spiritual or romantic aspects of the story. But it would be nothing like Young Victoria!

Tuesday, 19 January, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!