Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Wildflowers in our local park.

My friend G. who lives around the corner, alerted me to a nature walk last Sunday, conducted by a horticulturalist and local council members. I couldn't go, but she went, and called to tell me what it was all about. This park near us weaves its way through our suburb, providing a pathway for walkers and cyclists, but on one side there is an area of virgin bush. There are signs up in this area, asking people to keep to the paths and not trample on the plants, as the council are trying to regenerate the original indigenous bush. For the first time in many years, native plants have flowered abundantly, due to the rain we've had after the drought, and G. said it is a beautiful sight. Nothing like the colourful parks and gardens of Europe and the Americas, but it's ours! So I went for a walk yesterday, armed with my camera.


I realise this post will not hold much appeal to anyone who isn't interested in flowers, native or otherwise, but I know some of the readers of this blog like to see what life in all forms is like on the other side of the world. I've provided links for each plant to go for more information if you want to.


This is the main path, and on the right of the walkers in the distance, is the bush area.



This is the path you must stick to, if you want to walk through the bushland - unmade apart from logs to provide steps up the incline.




Everything is left alone, trees lie as they fall, and plants fight to survive among weeds, which are the only plants removed by volunteers and council workers.



This tiny white flower is called Milkmaid.


Everlasting Daisies (or Paper Daisies, so called because the petals feel like paper)

Chocolate Lily (it smells like chocolate!)


Native Bluebell


Egg & Bacon plant (we have a larger version of this in our garden)


Hornet Orchid



And just to spoil our walk, the local vandals have to make their mark. If this was our fence, Ken would have painted over that within 24 hours.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lakshmi said...

I am so happy Gina..
thnak yo ufor your appreciations as always...
OMG i didn't notice You have many more blogs about your place and country. will come back(after Diwali festival which we celebrate in a grand way) I want to see the lovely nature you live in..

Tuesday, 02 November, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!