Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Friday, March 18, 2011

Heart surgery - is it worth all the pain?

Ken is feeling very fragile, very sorry for himself. He said today that it would have been better if he'd been allowed to die naturally, instead of feeling so awful after the operation. We have been warned that it is quite normal for cardiac patients to feel depressed and in pain at times, but that it will get better within a few weeks. I made the mistake of looking at videos of heart surgery on YouTube tonight, and I was exclaiming loudly over the scenes where the rib cage is separated by the surgeons winding it apart with a mechanical thing. OMG, no wonder the poor bloke is feeling like he has been run over by a truck. UGH...Ken heard me from the other end of the house and asked what I was looking at. I said "NOTHING! Go back to sleep!" I did not want him to see that particular video scene, although I told him later that the bit showing the heart lung machine was incredible.

Isabelle posted a poem called "I Carry Your Heart" on her blog this week, and it reminded me of what one of the nurses actually said to him before the operation: "don't worry, your heart is in good hands"! He is still coming to terms with the thought that complete strangers (surgeons) were actually holding his heart in their hands.

Tiger is playing a big part in cheering up Ken. We had the gas fire on tonight, and Tiger is a bit wary of it, but decided to lie far enough away to be safe, but close enough to be warm.


Ken is spending a lot of time on the couch under the furry rug, and Tiger spends a few moments during the day, snuggling down at his feet.

4 Comments:

Blogger Linens and Royals said...

Tiger is being a good therapy cat just by being there. Cats are so good at that sort of thing.

Friday, 18 March, 2011  
Blogger Pam said...

Oh, so glad the op is over but sorry that Ken's feeling so fragile. I'm sure you're the best person in the world to look after him - you're such a good soul - but don't wear yourself out either.

Saturday, 19 March, 2011  
Blogger Pam said...

Not sure if my comment published or not (you've done something to your comments since I was here before) but anyway, best wishes to Ken and look after yourself too!

Saturday, 19 March, 2011  
Blogger FredaB said...

Hi Gina

Sorry I have been so slow responding to Ken's condition but it sounds as if everything went wonderful. We had company and a bunch of other things and I have hardly been home. You know the old feast or famine.

I am sure once he gets his feet back he will notice a great difference and maybe it will even help the lung situation.

Don't baby him too much - that sounds harsh but sometimes we tend to overdo
when something like this happens. Be your usual self and just help when he really needs it. That is what they taught me when Harv had his accident.
Also take care of yourself and I am glad you were able to get out and around with your friends because it will be harder to do that for awhile.

Hugs

FredaB

Sunday, 20 March, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!