Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I am married to Ken. We have no children except a cat and a collection of Australian parrots, finches, canaries and a dozen hens.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The MOTH is home!

On my arrival at the Austin hospital this morning, I was informed Ken was to be discharged today. He'd been for final X-rays, blood tests, ECGs, and exercise sessions, and was pronounced fit enough to go home. He was elated, and I was also pleased, but a bit apprehensive. We took home a new list of medications which luckily included most of his old ones, a chart of exercises that he has to do every day, a list of foods he should eat, and a list of foods he should not eat (most of his favourites), and instructions to take his blood sugar reading three times daily. A nurse brought him in a wheelchair to the hospital entrance where I was parked waiting for him. I tucked him tenderly in the front seat, with a cushion between his chest and the seat belt (to protect the wound), and drove carefully home, trying to avoid potholes and speed humps.

It was nearly 4 pm by the time we got home, and once Ken had said hello to Tiger and Topsy, he sat on the couch in the lounge room for a few minutes, then decided to lie on the bed and have a snooze. He fell asleep almost immediately, and I left him there in peace until he woke up about 7.30. In that time, I phoned most of the people who had been asking after him, so that the phone wouldn't ring nonstop into the night, but the few that I didn't call got through on the phone inbetween my calls out, so it wasn't really a silent night.
We had a light meal of vegetable soup and buttered toast for tea, and later on he had a low-fat icecream. We sat in front of the t.v. for a couple of hours and talked about the hospital and other topics relating to his health, and I could see him visibly relaxing. He commented "How nice it is to see a picture on our big t.v. instead of four walls, curtains, beds, machines, and people coming and going".

He now has at least two - more likely three - months at home before he can drive, let alone go back to work, but he says he is not going to push himself beyond reasonable limits, as he has been given a second chance at life, and doesn't want to botch it. It will be interesting to see who loses their patience first - lol!


Blogger Merle said...

Hi Gina ~~ So glad to hear that Ken is home and doing well. He will need lots of sleep to get his strength back. And I hope you get more rest now and feel less tired.
Look after yourself and Ken and
take great care, my friend.
Love, Merle.

Thursday, 17 March, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!