Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A very Japanese themed birthday!

Before I write about my birthday, I want to express my sympathy for my American readers who may have been caught up in the catastrophic tornadoes over there. I cannot begin to imagine how terrifying it must be to live in areas that experience these storms year after year. In northern Australia we have seasonal cyclones, but seriously bad ones like Yasi only come occasionally. New Zealand and Japan have earth tremors most of the time, but severe earthquakes rarely. They are all bad enough, but I was so shocked to see the damage in the USA from these latest tornadoes, and I do hope that all of you who read this blog are okay. I would really love a short message from any of you who live over there, to let me know (if)you are okay.

My friends (and rellies) know how much I love anything Japanese, so I was delighted to receive so many lovely birthday gifts to remind me of that beautiful country.


This is the book that I asked Ken to buy for my birthday. I have been admiring it on the shop shelf for ages, and went straight to it with Ken in tow!


My paper-crafty friend Val found these goodies at a Japanese store in the inner city area, and thought they would make a fun gift. I love them! Heart shaped paper punch, embossing kit, paper lace, tiny fabric bows. Guess I'll be doing even more paper craft stuff in the near future.
Val made this carry bag from a page of a Japanese calendar. In true Origami style, there is no cutting, pasting, stapling or any kind of join - it is all in the folding. Ken was fascinated when he had a close look.


Glenda also loves Japanese stuff and has as much if not more than I do. She gave me this cute Kimono doll storage jar. Ken asked what I was going to put in it, and where was I going to put it, in my already crowded kitchen. I replied that I don't know yet, but I'll find a spot for her!

The rest of my gifts were not Japanese themed, but I love them just the same! This tealight sculpture is called Circle of Friends, and was given to me by Louise, who is one of a group of friends who live in this area, that I've known for many years. We meet occasionally for dinner, and she chose this to represent the five of us. Can't wait to show it to the others.

Ken's sister gave me this book on quilting, along with the Spotlight $50 gift voucher - good thinking, SIL! I've already got my shopping list to buy fabrics there that I didn't get at the Quilt convention last weekend!



Sandra is one of the five friends that I mentioned above, and she gave me this exquisite scarf. I just love the colour, and the texture of the knitting is beautifully soft, not scratchy. I don't wear scarves in winter very often because I hate the feel of wool around my neck, but this will be warm and soft...

2 Comments:

Blogger Linens and Royals said...

Happy Birthday for last Friday. You are a lucky girl to have such generous and thoughtful friends. Sylvia X

Wednesday, 20 April, 2011  
Blogger Pam said...

Happy belated birthday from me too. So glad that Ken is beginning to pick up.

Friday, 22 April, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!