Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Friday, March 25, 2011

What else is happening here?

Ken is starting to feel a bit more human and less like a zombie. His body is getting used to the new meds, and the rotten side effects have ceased. Parts of him still cause pain, but not as much as a week ago. Here he is talking to a friend on the phone tonight.



In contrast, Tiger has his back to me for good reason. I had run a bath for myself, and was turning off the computer in the next room when I heard a splash, followed by frantic scrabbling sounds. A wet furry creature shot past the door in a blur, and when I finally caught up with him, I had to wipe him down with a wet cloth before I dried him. I'd poured aromatic oils into the bath, and I think he would have been very sick if he'd licked himself clean. One of Ken's visitors commented on Tiger's tail, saying he looked more like a Ring-tailed Lemur than a Tiger, with those stripes!


Lots of action in the back yard over the past fortnight. One of the eucalypts in the back yard provided excellent shade for the birds in their aviaries, but when the tree developed a tilt and started to LEAN against the end aviary, it had to go, otherwise it would have crushed them all. It took three blokes a couple of hours to cut the tree down. One climbed up as far as he could go, chain saw swinging from his belt, and sawed off the top branches, which were guided away from the aviaries by the other blokes holding ropes. It cost $660, but worth every cent, as there was no damage at all to the aviaries, and the birds survived all the noise. (How can you tell if a bird is deaf?) If they aren't deaf already, they might be after tomorrow. The fence at the back is going to be torn down and replaced at a cost of $540 (our half share). Don't anybody DARE ask me when I'm getting a new computer...



The other exciting event in our back yard is the arrival of a garden shed. Our neighbour had this shed in her back yard, but wanted to get rid of it. As we had been wanting one for years, but never got around to buying one, she said we may as well have hers, otherwise she would have to pay someone to take it to the tip. Ken's two nephews arrived one Sunday and took two hours to dismantle the shed in neighbour's yard, throw the panels over the fence, re-assemble it in our yard and lay a brick floor! Ken was in hospital while this was going on, so he didn't have any say about what was put into the shed. I scooped up everything that had been lying around the back yard and put them in to it. Happy Jan!

5 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

I'm so glad that Ken is getting better. I hope he goes from strength to strength. And you too.

Friday, 25 March, 2011  
Blogger Linens and Royals said...

Yes Tiger, that is a very impressive tail, I hope you have learned your lesson about bathwater now.

Friday, 25 March, 2011  
Blogger FredaB said...

Ken is looking good - up and dressed. It should all be uphill from now on. I hope it really makes him feel a lot better and helps his breathing.

Thats a bummer about the tree and the cost for you right now. Always something when you don't need it.

I like the shed. The brick floor sounds great. We have one in Chicago but in Florida they are not allowed in our community - may upset the golfers!!! I really miss having one. Everything that can't come in the house has to end up in the garage. Just thanks we have one of those.

Take care and look after yourself too.

Hugs

Freda

Sunday, 27 March, 2011  
Blogger Crazee4books said...

Hi Gina,

I've been reading through your
recent blog posts and catching
up with all your news and it
would seem that you and Ken have
been through the wars lately.

Poor Ken, having to go through
the sort of surgery that he did
but he does seem to be doing
remarkably well and overcoming
any difficulties that occurred.

Quite the ordeal for him and for
you who had to wait it out with-
out the benefit of being sedated
for the worst bits. The wait
for news during the time a loved
one is in surgery can stretch on
for an eternity.

It's good that he's home and
feeling a little better each day.
Now that his meds are settled and
he's had time for his body to
adjust to the new regime he'll
be making even better progress
too. And I'm sure having you to
look after him has helped with
the healing process immensely!

I had to laugh at the antics
of your resident (Ring tailed
lemur) cat Tiger who learned
first hand the true meaning of
curiosity and it's effect on
cats. They do provide hours of
endless entertainment and
distraction from life's trials
and tribulations don't they?
The best medicine of all for
Ken although I imagine laughing
can be a bit uncomfortable for
him right now.

Your new garden shed looks great
and it looks like it'll hold a
lot of stuff. We got a new
garden shed last summer to
replace our 19 year old shed.
But it took Phil four years to
choose a shed to buy that suited
his needs and requirements. You
can't rush these things it seems.

We're still enjoying (!!) patches
of the white stuff around garden
and yard since having a rather
fierce snow storm last week, on
the second day of Spring!! But
it's slowly melting away day by
day and the crocuses and dafodils
are either in bloom or budding up.
We're so ready for Winter to be
over and to see green growing
things again.

Just between us ... Phil
celebrated his 56th birthday
at the beginning of March. He
really doesn't look his age
except for the white in his
mustache. As for me, I am
now coloring the white (ack!!)
out of my hair so hopefully
I don't look like I'm almost
53 years old ... er ... young!

Please pass on my best wishes
to Ken and tell him I hope that
he's soon feeling more like his
old self ... only healthier and
stronger.

Take care both of you!!

Wednesday, 30 March, 2011  
Blogger Merle said...

Dear Gina ~~ It is good to see Ken is looking and feeling better day by day. It should all be so worth it when he has recovered fully.
Glad you liked the goat for dinner. I liked the entry into heaven,
Glad you got rid of that leaning tree. before it fell on your birds.
The shed is great for a freebie and will hold quite a bit.Good of Ken's nephews to get it and set it up for you. Take care of you both, my friend, Love, Merle.

Thursday, 31 March, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!