Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Friday, November 04, 2005

Last of the big spenders/spend-ups.

I just posted a message on my favorite eBay message board, titled something similar, to warn my regular eBay sellers that I won't be bidding as often (if at all) from now on. Ken lost his job today at exactly 2.30 pm. The cardiologist dictated a letter to Vic Roads while we were sitting right there: "Mr Wilson is not fit to drive a heavy vehicle due to his heart (medical terms given), although this will not affect his ability to drive an ordinary car", etc. (For those of you overseas, Vic Roads is the State Government authority governing laws that relate to vehicle registration and driving licences, among other things).

When we left the surgery, Ken drove to the bus company and told the boss, who was visibly shocked at the abruptness of the termination of Ken's employment. He worked a shift this morning before going to the doctor, and is out of work this afternoon. He now has to see our local GP to obtain a medical certificate, so the bus company can continue to pay him sick leave (about 2 weeks). He is also owed Rostered Days Off (don't ask me to explain that one), long service leave (13 years) and residual annual leave. So it will be a reasonable payout. But if he can't get another job (and at nearly 63, who is going to employ him?), that will be the last money he will ever earn, apart from superannuation and possibly a pension of some kind. Even that is in doubt, as I am still working, albeit 3 days a week, so he may not qualify for a pension on the grounds that his spouse is still earning.

A number of well-meaning people have said to him "Oh retirement is wonderful - you will be able to travel now!" Well, if you have been lucky (or prudent) enough to save up enough money to travel after you finish work, that's fine. But we haven't, so that is out of the question. Ken has been on the phone to friends and family tonight, and he is trying to sound cheerful about it, but underneath he says it feels "like a kick in the guts". We knew it was in the pipeline, but thought he may have a week's grace at least, to finish up at work with some dignity.

10 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

G - my heart goea out to you and K... I had a feeling that this would be the way the dice would roll... I was going to ring you guys last night but felt that you needed time... I won't bother you until you feel like talking - going over and over it is tiresome... Our love to you both...

Friday, 04 November, 2005  
Blogger Linda said...

I cannot think of a word to say except

BUGGER!

Thinking of you both very much

Friday, 04 November, 2005  
Blogger Peggy said...

patra, my heart goes out to you. Wish I were close enough to take you out for a cup of tea and a chat.. sending hugs and good thoughts to both of you.

Friday, 04 November, 2005  
Blogger Miss Robyn said...

Gina - I don't know what to say. Words won't take away the worry of your future but just know that I am an email away.
my dad was the same when he was alive. He drove trucks all his life and his health made him give it up before he was 60. He had no career to fall back on but a love & knowledge of gardening, gave him a few hours a week work. He also did a little volunteer work with senior citizens. I know this is probably not the answer for you K..but remember that you have each other. big hugs & if we were closer, I would join you and Peggy for that cup of tea xx

Friday, 04 November, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

There is a future. I have been/am in a similar situation. It's not easy. I live in Upper Gully and if you can go to my blog you can email me. Could meet for coffee, half way?, or you could come and see my little linen collection. I have decided that this ageing stuff is like being a teenager. You are on the way to being something else and you can be a bit addled along the way. Be kind to yourself and to him - and you will, in time, find yourself in a new place.

Blessings and bliss

Friday, 04 November, 2005  
Blogger Dawn said...

So sorry ...... for both of you ..... The economy is such here that my Shel is looking to be laid off near Christmas. It will be the first time in his life and we are nervous of an uncertain future too; however, we have faith in God and that He will open one door if He closes this one. Keep looking for that open door Gina and Ken .....

Friday, 04 November, 2005  
Blogger Laurie said...

Gina,
I am so sorry to hear this,my thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Saturday, 05 November, 2005  
Blogger Pamela Kellogg said...

Oh Gina, I am so sorry! I just can't think of anything to say that will help. My heart and thoughts are with you both.

Saturday, 05 November, 2005  
Blogger Finding My Way said...

Hi Gina,
Hugs to you and Ken. I wish those could be in person. hmmm Maybe we'll have to take a collection and get you two to come to the states or maybe I'll get to save money and come see you. I know it's hard but the good part is he's still living.
Give each other hugs and try to worry. Better to find it and take care of himself. Ok I'll hush now. Just trying to find the rainbow in a grey day.
Peace,
_Patty

Saturday, 05 November, 2005  
Blogger Maggie Ann said...

You and Ken are in my thoughts tonight Gina. Take care..praying for you both.

Sunday, 06 November, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!