Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Top End of Australia.

I don't quite know why I haven't posted this before now. We booked this holiday weeks ago, but I think as it gets closer, it feels real, whereas earlier, it was all a kind of dream. Probably because it happened so fast. Our friends M and L told us in January they had booked themselves on a trip to Darwin, the capital of the Northern Territory. M. is very canny when it comes to looking for cheap airfares, and he found a return flight for $20 each way Melbourne-Darwin. A few weeks later, he rung us to say the same airline still had tickets available for the same flight, but for $10 each way - did we want to go with them? Well, considering that the standard return airfare Melbourne to Darwin is more like $800, we would have been stupid to say no!

Ken has been to Darwin twice, over 30 years ago (before we met), and he has been saying for years "I want to take you to the Top End - it's such a great place to see". The only thing stopping us was the cost. So when this opportunity presented itself, we grabbed it. We are flying up with M and L on Friday 4th April and returning on Thursday 10th. M. has sourced great deals on accomodation and car hire, so we are going to have a great few days for minimum cost. We hope to visit Kakadu National Park, or Katherine Gorge, but probably not both of them, as they are several hundred kilometres in different directions from Darwin, so either place means a whole day trip. I looked up opshops on the Internet and have a list of seven in and around Darwin, so if the guys want to do their own thing one day, L and I will be delighted to go op-shopping!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Alice said...

That sounds like a wonderful trip. Oh, Gina, please take lots of pictures for us to see! And it is next week, time to start thinking about what to pack in your suitcases.

Wednesday, 26 March, 2008  
Blogger Gina E. said...

LOL Alice, it won't take long to pack! Tiger Airlines allow a maximum of 30 kg luggage per person, so that means one case each. That's not a problem; we are only going for six days, and as it will still be hot up there (average 32 deg.C) we'll only need shorts and teeshirts and swimwear! I'm taking both of my cameras - digital and 35 ml., because the 35 ml takes excellent photos for our album, while the digital is more just for fun. So yes, you should see some pix in a couple of weeks!

Wednesday, 26 March, 2008  
Blogger Jeanette said...

Hi Gina..Can i come as extra baggage.
Oh I love Darwin we went there 6 years in a row staying 4 months each trip, Litchfield park is much nicer than Kakadu, if had i had to choose kakadu or Katherine it would be Katherine, there is a fee to go into Kakadu. litchfield is free and can see berry springs on the way back into Darwin beautiful safe place to swim. No Crocs.I have some photoes of Darwin in my early posts and again scattered in july/august..Have a wonderful holiday take lots of photo's

Sunday, 30 March, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!