Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Thursday, April 03, 2008

We had a storm in Melbourne yesterday...

BOY did we have a storm! I heard one newsreader say that Eltham was one of the worst hit suburbs. Well, we do have a lot of trees here, but we're not the only suburb in that cagegory. This is what the sky looked like around midday, from the back of our yard. The metal contraption on the right of the picture is our t.v. antennae. I'm always worried that a strong wind will rip it AND the roof from the house one day!

This tree should have fallen over years ago, but it apparently models itself on the Leaning Tower Of Pisa. God help our aviary birds if ever it decides to fall. Can you see the branch hanging down, high up in the tree on the right? Apart from small twigs and branches, that was the only damage we copped at our place.


This is some of the chaos remaining today in our street alone.



Hard to believe that wind can rip a whole tree out of the ground, roots and all.

It made a mess of our local park. I always feel sad for all the little creatures that lose their homes - birds, possums, etc.


Some people curse the gum (eucalyptus) trees, but it's not always those that fall. We've lost two melaleucas in previous years, but none of our gums. I'm not sure what this tree was - native yes, but not a gum tree.

This is next door to our post office. I often park in there...won't be for a while now - not until this mess is cleared away.

Would you park here after seeing all this? That's my car under that huge eucalyptus tree, today. Most of the shopping centre car parks in Eltham have trees - they are lovely and shady in the summer.

The next four photos were taken around the corner from our place:





This is what happens to all those trees and branches: turned into mulch! This householder must have been one of the first to ring a tree lopper. We've heard chain saws revving all day today...and no doubt they will continue for weeks.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jeanette said...

Hi Gina, We had a bad dust storm, the dust turned day into night I have been duting all day and turn around and its back just as thick.you can smell and taste the dust in the air. The weather April may June, high 20s low 30s this time of the year Perfect..this is when we used to caravan in Darwin. humidity starts mid august and then we started for home traveling through centre of Aust. Have a wonderful holiday...

Thursday, 03 April, 2008  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Gina ~~ It sure was a storm ~ we only had the brown sky a some wind.
I felt so sad for the electrician who
died try to get power back on. Glad you didn't have any major damage at your house. Thanks for your comments and I am so glad my family are close to each other (Although not physically - we are scattered all over.} Glad you enjoyed the jokes. When I say I'll try to do better, it usually means I can't keep my eyes open and have less jokes etc. Take care, my friend, Love, Merle.

Friday, 04 April, 2008  
Blogger MrsG said...

Wow....I'm hanging out for a decent storm. They just aren't the same in the UK. Also it's good to see the place still looks the same. Can't wait to get back and explore...find out what's changed etc! 2 months to go!

Friday, 04 April, 2008  
Blogger Pam said...

Goodness me, that was some wind.

Hope you're having a good holiday.

Saturday, 12 April, 2008  
Blogger Vintage Linen Treasures said...

Wow! And I thought we have some strong winds here in TX! I can't believe the damage to all those trees. So glad you, your family and your home are all safe.
Patricia :o)

Saturday, 12 April, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!