Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Week Three of Tea Blog-A-Thon.


Decor-a-Tea
This week, La Tea Dah at Gracious Hospitality wants us to share ideas and pictures that incorporate tea and/or tea themes into home decor. Displays, art, prints, fabrics, and collection all count in this category. Do you use teapots and teacups as a part of your home decor? If so, describe how.


For my contribution, I decided to photograph my motley collection of teapots and vintage cups, and accompany them with explanatory notes.


These are vintage cup and saucer sets and plates that I have been given by friends and family, who know how much I love the Crinoline Lady designs in my linen collection. I don't use them much - only on VERY special occasions with Special Ladies who know to treat them with care!

This Noritake cup, saucer and sugar bowl group are part of my kitchen dinner set which Ken and I use on a daily basis. The teapot behind them is a tiny two-cup variety - to be found in supermarkets for a few dollars, but suits us down to the ground!


These three teapots sit on the very top shelf in our kitchen because they are purely for decoration. The large one is used only when we have more than ten people here and we need to make a LARGE pot of tea instead of continually topping up a normal sized teapot. I found the other two teapots in an opshop for about $2. I couldn't figure out why anyone would give such pretty pots to a thrift store...until I tried to use them and found they leaked tea all over the place! The spouts are so badly designed, they are unusable, but I decided to keep them for decorative purposes anyway!


The aluminium teapot on the left is about 40 years old. My father gave it to me for a birthday or Christmas gift while I was still married to my first husband. It was one of the few things I took with me when I fled! The orange enamelled teapot is one that we bought when we used to go on camping trips many years ago. I can't remember where we got it, but I have seen a similar one sell on eBay for about $80!!!

11 Comments:

Blogger Alice said...

Such pretty things, Gina. I especially enjoyed seeing the Crinoline Lady dishes and had to enlarge your photo so I could see all the little details. I certainly understand about using your most special dishes only with your friends who understand how to treat them. I take that into consideration when offering tea to certain friends too.

Tuesday, 01 April, 2008  
Blogger La Tea Dah said...

I enjoyed your post, Gina. I love your vintage Crinoline lady teacup sets and plates. I think I have one of the teacups. . .shown on the left. It's a little difficult to tell by photo, but I have one that was a wedding gift to my parents years ago. All your teapots are pretty --- and I love the silver aluminum one you took with you when you fled (I hope that wasn't a dangerous situation for you). Thank you for sharing and have a really fun holiday!

LaTeaDah

Tuesday, 01 April, 2008  
Blogger ellen b. said...

Your collection of tea pots is great. I really love your vintage stuff. I'm drawn to the squarish shaped plate. Very nice...

Tuesday, 01 April, 2008  
Blogger Vee said...

Motley collections are wonderful! I loved seeing the Noritake set as that's not familiar to me. Very pretty!

Wednesday, 02 April, 2008  
Blogger Sweet Necessi-Teas said...

I love your special crinoline lady vintage tea cups and saucers! They are so pretty! I promise to treat them nicely if I am ever invited to tea!

Thursday, 03 April, 2008  
Blogger Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Gina, what beautiful tea-decor! I especially love the crinoline ladies, I have some brooches with them on. I used to have several pieces of the strawberry set but I'm not sure where it is or went. Thank you for sharing!

Kathi :)

Thursday, 03 April, 2008  
Blogger Carrie said...

I am fascinated with the crinoline ladies patterns!

Thursday, 03 April, 2008  
Blogger Grace said...

Your items are just lovely!

Thursday, 03 April, 2008  
Blogger Sandy said...

Your collection of ladies in crinoline is stunning!!! The square plate with the scene on it is arresting!!! I also love the aluminum tea pot, so unique! I think you have set me on a new quest for searching out some crinoline clad ladies for my collection also!

Friday, 04 April, 2008  
Blogger Pam said...

Love your Crinoline Lady dishes - I can tell just by the sheen that they are vintage - very beautiful! Also love the different teapots, especially the silver one! Thanks for sharing in the blog-a-thon!

Friday, 04 April, 2008  
Blogger Vintage Linen Treasures said...

Gina! I didn't know you love teacups and such. I do too! I have a growing collection but haven't really unpacked them since we moved to TX. Most of them are out of the box, but not on display as they should be. Thank you for sharing your collection! Beautiful!
Patricia :o)

Saturday, 12 April, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!