Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Thursday, July 31, 2008

A Laughing Jackass came to visit!

LOL, I can just imagine the puzzled faces of our overseas readers - "Laughing Jackass??? Who is she talking about?" Laughing Jackass is the other name for one of Australia's most iconic birds - the Kookaburra. I posted a photo of one here last February, when it stopped over in our back yard, but I couldn't get close enough to take a good shot. However, yesterday provided a perfect opportunity.

I heard a commotion on the front porch where the Lorikeets were feeding on some apple and seed I'd put out earlier, so I went to the front door to check out the noise, and there was a kookaburra sitting on the feeder! The Lorikeets will challenge just about any other bird that invades their feeding platform, but the Kookaburra didn't even need to squawk or flap his wings! He didn't move when I opened the door slowly, and still sat there gazing at me when I moved closer. So I got my camera and he didn't even flinch when I took the first one, so I kept snapping pics. I figured he wasn't going to go anywhere until I fed him something other than apple and seed, so I got some meat which was supposed to be for the dog and cat, and he accepted that very happily!

"G'day! What's on the menu?"

"Thank you very much - just what I wanted. A nice piece of fresh meat".

"I'll just go down into the garden to swallow it in peace, and get away from that infernal camera!"

"I'll sit up in this gum tree to digest that meal!"

5 Comments:

Blogger Alice said...

LOL, I was really curious who the laughing jackass was! Those are great pictures, Gina. I really enjoyed meeting your friend. :)

Thursday, 31 July, 2008  
Blogger Pam said...

What great pictures.

Yes, by the way, Scotland is part of the UK (which means the united kingdoms of Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland - note which one I put first...).

Thanks so much for your sympathetic comment, though it was rather overdoing it to say that our children are bent on self-destruction! Unless going out with an actor counts as that...

Friday, 01 August, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wonderful pictures, Gina. Can't wait to show Herself. She has, for some time, being feeding our resident magpie pair. This morning she said that she also had a visit from a kingfisher. I said that because she is feeding them meat, anyday now she will have a visit from the Giant Kingfisher, that Laughing Jackass known as the Kookaburra. BTW, I love the sunshine in the photos too - after a bleak afternoon they are really warming.

Blessings and bliss

Friday, 01 August, 2008  
Blogger Gledwood said...

Jackass? Those birds look totally mental!... for one thing they look barely fledged... their beaks seem to stick out too much... etc etc

do you get rainbow lorries near you?

also what is that famous melbourne birdie-wirdie that immitates car alarms/mobile phones/etc etc all the time... my friend who went down visiting relatives said until you get used to them those feathery mimixx drive you CRAZY!!

Saturday, 02 August, 2008  
Blogger Pear tree cottage! said...

Great photos Gina, infact they are wonderful..........for those of you who know were Gina lives you will understand that she has such a beautiful spot on this earth the trees must be filled with aussie birds to watch.

love that you can feed them too.

Love Lee-ann

Monday, 04 August, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!