Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Monday, July 07, 2008

My weekly walk with Val.

Last Friday Val and I chose a local park to walk in. Ruffey Lake Park is situated in Doncaster, about half way between Val's home and my home, so it was mutually convenient to meet there. The day was cold and cloudy to start with, so we were well rugged up.


The Park is situated on ancient rockbeds, and has been quarried between 1860 and 1930, as this information board describes. The info. boards scattered around the park are very informative; it's a pity that some of them have deteriorated due to weather or vandalism, but this one is still legible enough to make out.

This photo shows part of one of the old quarries:

For a park located in the suburbs of a capital city, Ruffey Lake Park is huge - 68 hectares in size, with lots of open space for kids to run around, and people to walk their dogs:

As well as a wild life reserve which is fenced off and being regenerated with native grasses etc.


This looks like it was nearly night time, but it was actually mid afternoon! Still cloudy, but enough light to make an interesting shot of the lake the park is named after.


Finally the sky cleared, and we sat at the top of a hill overlooking the park, to do some sketching and enjoy a delicious cake Val had made.


(As with most of the photos on my blog, if you click on a photo, an enlarged version will appear on your screen.)

6 Comments:

Blogger Jeanette said...

Hi Gina.Wow another lovely walk with Val through Ruffey Park.. Great Pics.

Tuesday, 08 July, 2008  
Blogger Maggie Ann said...

Oh how interesting! Wish I had time to linger...

Wednesday, 09 July, 2008  
Blogger Merle said...

Dear Gina ~~ What a lovely Park you and Val found to walk in. I really
liked the beautiful eucalypts (gum
trees) They look so lovely. It is nice to have this place in the city.
Take care, my friend, Love, Merle.

Wednesday, 09 July, 2008  
Blogger Alice said...

Everything is still so pretty and green even in the cool weather. What lovely pictures from your walk, especially the one of the lake.

Friday, 11 July, 2008  
Blogger Pear tree cottage! said...

Gina, if only I lived closer to you both I would join you for a good long walk it may help the lungs!!

love to you Lee-ann

Wednesday, 16 July, 2008  
Blogger Gina E. said...

G'day Friends-who-comment-regularly! Lovely to see you all here, and I promise to visit you all real soon.

Thursday, 17 July, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!