Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Oh dear...

For years I have been buying a Tattslotto ticket for the Saturday night draw. Very rarely do I splurge on any of the other weekly Lotto or Powerball games. I figure $5 a week is enough to waste on gambling! Some people spend a lot more - I've been behind somebody in a queue, and seen them hand over $100 or more, and walk away with a swag of tickets. I wonder if they ever win enough to recoup what they've spent? I also wonder if the small spender like me ever gets lucky enough to scoop a million or so?

This week I feel like putting every last cent we have on Tattslotto, and that wouldn't amount to much after this past week. Why is it that when you think (a) things can't get any worse, or (b) things are starting to get better - they do get worse, and they don't get better! Our hot water service died this week. I discovered water running down the side of the tank and yelled out to Ken to take a look. He looked, and said "Oh, no..." This was at 10 pm on Monday night. I found a plumber who advertised himself as on call 24 hours, and sure enough, he answered his mobile phone. I told him about our HWS and he said "It will be okay overnight, and I'll be there at 8.30 am." He arrived on time, and confirmed Ken's diagnosis that the HWS was stuffed. It was 16 years old, and he said we'd done well, as it was way past its use-by date of 12 years. He organised a new one to be delivered, and while we waited, he disconnected the old one, heaved it on the back of his truck to be taken to a recycle centre. By the time he'd done that, the new one had arrived, and he spent the next hour installing it, filling it up with water, and arranging for an electrician to come later and do his bit. We had hot water by 6 pm that night. For a total cost of $1750 - which is added to our home loan account.

The next day I collected my mail at the post office and among the half dozen letters was one of those plain window faced envelopes from a government department. Yup. Speeding fine. $234 and 3 demerit points. Apparently last December I'd been travelling at 73 kph in a 60 kph zone. Shit. When Ken heard how much the HWS cost, he wondered if he should delay putting new tyres on his Honda, as the old ones are 10 years old, and a new pair will cost $400. I said don't worry about the cost, you can't skimp on safety. $2384 gone in one week. Some people these days earn that much in a week. For us, it is more than we make in a month! Oh well. We battle on regardless and rewardless, but I do hope that just once, this week - we might be lucky in Tattslotto.

10 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

Oh G - you poor thing!!!!

Thursday, 21 January, 2010  
Blogger FredaB said...

Oh Gina the old saying "it never rains but it pours" seems to apply here but there should be another line that says " a rainbow over your shoulder and the sun will come out tomorrow". Pray for that lotto. I just heard an amazing thing. Most large lotto winners end up broke and bankrupt after a few years.

A story to make you smile. My dear sister who passed away 3 years ago won a local lottery and won something like $1800.00. Well she kept buying and every time someone would comment she would say it is from my lotto money. My BIL said laughingly that he could never retire because Do thinks it is call coming from that lotto.

Hugs

FredaB

Thursday, 21 January, 2010  
Blogger bigbikerbob said...

Hi Gina, I know the feeling well, although that doesn't help you and Ken at the moment.I used to think that as we got older things wuld get better (financially)but wrong again.Keep your chins up and get those tyres put on ASAP.Things will eventually get better.

Thursday, 21 January, 2010  
Blogger Linens and Royals said...

Bad luck always seems to come in 3's so things should improve now.
Good luck with Tattslotto.

Friday, 22 January, 2010  
Blogger Jeanette said...

Gday Gina. Ohhh you are having a bad trot, things can only get better from now on.. go buy a ticket in tattslotto. you got to be in it to win it.

Friday, 22 January, 2010  
Blogger Gina E. said...

LOL! Thank you all for your sympathetic comments! Well, I've got my usual Saturday night Lotto ticket, so I'll just keep the old fingers crossed. You'll know in about four hours if we won!

Saturday, 23 January, 2010  
Blogger Pam said...

I take it you didn't, then? Oh well. Poor you. Much sympathy.

Monday, 25 January, 2010  
Blogger Merle said...

Dear Gina ~~ I am so sorry you have had such a run of bad luck, Let us hope that is all for quite some considerable time. It seems to me
that most Tattslotto winners don't need the money and those who do don't have any luck. Keep on smiling
Take care, Love, Merle.

Monday, 25 January, 2010  
Blogger Finding My Way said...

I hope things get better for you. :) Hugs

Monday, 01 February, 2010  
Blogger Unknown said...

$$$ GENUINE LOAN WITH 3% INTEREST RATE CONTACT US FOR MORE DETAILS $$$.
Are you looking for a loan to clear off your dept and start up your own Business? have you being going all over yet not able to get a legit loan Company that will loan you? Here is your final solution, We can give you any amount you need provided you are going to pay back within the period of time given without any problem. Apply now and contact us for more details via email below.
Email: henski.john46@gmail.com

Application For loan.
First Name:
Last Name:
Date Of Birth:
Address:
Sex:
Phone No:
City:
Zip Code:
State:
Country:
Nationality:
Occupation:
Monthly Income:
Amount Needed:
Duration:
Purpose of the loan:
E-mail address:

Email: henski.john46@gmail.com

Saturday, 28 November, 2015  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!