Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

New books.

I finally got across to Angus & Robertson's bookshop today, to spend the gift voucher Sharon gave me for my birthday. I intended to put it toward a new Melways street directory, as the one in my car is the 2001 edition, and there have been a lot of changes around Melbourne since then! On the way to A. & R. I stopped at another bookshop to suss out their price for the new Melways and was shocked to hear it was $50! I thanked the shop assistant politely and continued on my way. At A. & R., I found Sharon and her boss behind the counter, with the newest Melways on display behind them. On asking how much it was, I was delighted to hear it was $10 cheaper than the other shop!

I can't be in a bookshop and just buy one book and walk away. Gosh no...I had a gift voucher to spend! There were half a dozen books I could have bought if I had unlimited funds, but I settled for just one (apart from the Melways). It is called "Smitten - a kitten's guide to happiness" and is the CUTEST book of kittens I've ever seen - Meow and all you cat lovers out there - you must check it out!!!!! It has a recommended retail price of $35.00 but A & R had it on a Mother's Day special shelf for $14.99 (don't you hate that - we haven't had 1c and 2c pieces here for years, but bloody shops STILL market goods at .99c. Why on earth don't they just take it to the nearest dollar and be done with it...)

I had coffee with a friend about an hour later, and showed her the book. She ooohed and aaahhed loudly all the way through it, much to the amusement of the other customers and waitresses, who came over to our table to see if she was okay! Ken even had a look through it and he is not a book person AT ALL, but he chuckled over some of the pictures too. I'd love to scan a few pages and put them on here but as it is such a new book, I might find myself in serious trouble, so I might just scan the cover if anyone asks me here about it.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh! Bookstores are bad.... I have put those at my number one position of 'Nic, you can't afford even one of those books, so don't bother going inside. You know it will give you heartache!'
I would spend a week in a bookstore if I was allowed. So many stories, so little time.
I would list my favourite but there is a limit to how much you can type in the comments box LOL.
I need a new street directory too... I have started to tear out pages and use them in collages LOL. I only take pages out that I know I won't be needing though. Ours was only a few years old, unlike yours, which I don't know how you got around with such an outdated street directory.
Have a brilliant Thursday Gina... I will be card making, baking, downloading music.... and all that other normal stuff.
xox Nic

Wednesday, 09 May, 2007  
Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

Oh, I was in A & R in Knox today ... didn't see that one ... shame, I would've bought it, too !! I was looking for a "My Trip" Journal, for my mum, who is going to Germany with dad at the end of June. I looooove Borders ... have you been in there yet ?? It is THE BEST bookshop.
Mmmmm, books ... I can't get enough of them !!
Hope your week is going well.
Have a great Friday, and weekend.
Take care, Meow

Thursday, 10 May, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

It sounds so kitten-y & kute. I look forward to seeing it. Ah, Nicole - only a week in a bookshop! I am an addict - but the price. But the joy of reading is also in picking up second hand books. Got some beauties when they cleaned out the cupboards at church - 20c a pop. And Sharon put me on to City Basement Books in Elizabeth Street & that's a godsend. Just a pity about the new ones!
And to Meow - Herself and I were at Knox yesterday, too. Who knows? Might have walked right on by. Will have to do coffee some time?

Friday, 11 May, 2007  
Blogger Pam said...

Ah, bookshops... My downfall. We were running out of bookcase space for a while, which reined in our book-buying tendencies, but then Daughter 1 got married and left home with a lot of books. Fatal to have some space...

Sunday, 13 May, 2007  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Yes, I have been to Borders, Meow - both Prahran (a few years ago) and Camberwell (last year). I grant you they are big shops, but Dymocks and A. & R. still stock books that Borders don't have - I know because I looked in all three on one day!
I'm with you Miss Eagle, when it comes to second hand books. Have you ever been to any of the Oxfam book sales? They have one in Eltham now and then, and you need to be there an hour before they open the doors, if you want to stand a chance of picking up anything worthwhile.

Monday, 14 May, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!