Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Off with the old butcher, on with the new.

Thanks to those of you who responded to my lament of the local butcher. Glad you understood how annoyed I felt! Well, last Monday, I went back and waved the leg of lamb at the owner of the shop who happened to be at the counter when I arrived. I think he was annoyed that I had the cheek to argue about the quality of his meat, and blustered some excuse about the machine they use to 'corn' meats and how it might not work properly sometimes. His attitude was that if that's all I had to complain about, why was I wasting his time! So I told him that this wasn't the only issue, and mentioned the meat tainted with detergent. He looked disbelieving, but then one of the other butchers came out and said "I told you about that, remember?" The manager still seemed cheesed off with me and finally said "Well, I'm sorry about it, but other than apologise, what else do you want? I can do another leg for you for no charge if you like". I said "No thanks, don't worry about it, your apology is good enough" and walked out of the shop. I heard the other butcher say "We're going to lose business over this you know".

On Thursday, when I did my weekly shop, I went into the Safeway supermarket and bought most of the meat I would have bought at the butcher. That night, we had sausages (I don't like them much, but Ken does). They were very nice - not dripping fat like the ones I've bought previously, and not too spicy. Tonight we had the most delicious roast beef ever. I've avoided buying beef for roasting for many years, because no matter what I did with it, it was always tough. So Safeway - so far so good. I see no reason why the rest of their meat should be any different. One of my friends buys her meat there and has had no cause to complain.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Gina, I am so proud of you. Life is too short to let people 'do one over you' so they can go do it to someone else. I'm not talking about pay back or fun police... just making sure people do the right thing by their fellow Earthlings. It's not that hard!
Well done Gina.... do you feel a little bit more liberated now?

Sunday, 27 May, 2007  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Well, I've always been one to stand up for myself, being the baby of the family with two brothers ten years older than me. So I can defend myself, but I don't like being a whinger. I know I had good reason, but...it's unpleasant to have to do these things.

Sunday, 27 May, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!