Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I am married to Ken. We have no children except a cat and a collection of Australian parrots, finches, canaries and a dozen hens.

Saturday, May 19, 2007

A quiet weekend, not by choice.

Last weekend was busy. Late Sunday night Ken said "Have we got anything on next weekend?" to which I replied "No, why?" "I drive all day every day, Monday to Friday. I've just spent this weekend driving. Gimme a break!" As it turns out, it was just as well we had nothing planned. I woke up on Thursday morning, with my throat feeling a bit 'scratchy' - you know the feeling? After I did the weekly shopping in the morning, I decided I would stay home quietly for the rest of the day, and as the forecast was for lots of rain, I was looking forward to doing some stitching and/or reading.

Early in the afternoon, the gutter on one side of our house overflowed after a heavy fall of rain. Sighing, I got the ladder out, climbed up on to the roof and sure enough, the spouting was blocked with leaves. Fortunately it had stopped raining just then, so I stayed up there for 20 minutes, cleaning out the spouting and all the gutters of the leaf litter that had accumulated. I'd left the car parked outside earlier, hoping the rain would wash it, and that was done nicely, so my next job was to find the special cleaning mitt and wipe the car down. Late in the afternoon, I finally came back inside, hopped under a hot shower and dressed in warm clean clothes. Not that it did much good. By then I was coughing and sneezing, and knew I'd have to act fast if I was to go to work the next day! I made up my magic cure of crushed garlic, fresh lemon juice, honey and hot water, and when Ken got home, I was hot and sweaty! LeeAnn called later, to invite us to join them at a concert on Sunday afternoon, and feeling positive about my recuperative powers, I accepted.

On Friday morning, I felt just a bit throaty, so I was able to do the four jobs I had on my roster for the day, but I was so glad to get home and know I had two days to rest and throw off this virus. Later that night I must have been looking pretty second-hand, because Ken insisted that I call work (we have a 24 hour call service) and tell them I wouldn't be able to do the Personal care job I had lined up in the morning. On Saturday morning, I woke up feeling very ordinary, so it was just as well I'd cancelled my job. I phoned Rob and LeeAnn to say we probably would not be coming up there on Sunday, and Rob understood completely, having been in the same position when LeeAnn got sick the last time we'd invited them here. Sharon and Pete called in this afternoon for a while, and it was good to catch up, but I'm afraid I wasn't at my sparkly best...once these bugs have left us all, we owe our friends some visits and invitations!


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh you poor thing. I hope you are feeling much better by now.

We have just got back from fishing..... a few bites but no fish. We had a lovely bbq on the fire and listened to some soothing music by the camp fire.

Hope your night was lovely too.

Nic xox

Saturday, 19 May, 2007  
Blogger Miss Eagle said...

Hope you are feeling on the mend this morning, Gina. Got to Lee-Ann's site before yours and got the news - and her wonderful photographs - there.

Look after yourself - especially with this damp (welcome though it be) around. Hope Ken is spoiling you with cups of tea and lemon drinks and keeping you warm and toastie.

Blessings and bliss

Sunday, 20 May, 2007  
Blogger Meow said...

Oh, that's not nice. Those bugs can really take hold and make one feel horrible.
Hope you are on the mend now.
Take care, Meow

Monday, 21 May, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!